ANALYSIS OF SESAME PROTEINS ISOLATE (SESAMUM INDICUM L) WITH WATER AND SALT TREATMENT
Objective: The aim of this study was to obtain protein isolate from sesame using alkaline pH at different pHs of precipitation with water and salt and
to analyze protein isolate with sodium dodecyl sulfate-polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis (SDS-PAGE).
Methods: Sesame protein isolates were obtained using isoelectric precipitation method at different pHs using water and salt as solvents. Proteins
were analyzed using native-PAGE and SDS-PAGE.
Results: A yield of 14,727% Â± 0.3 of protein isolate of defatted sesame flour at pH 7.0 with a 47.4% Â± 0.6 of protein was obtained. The yield of protein
isolate using water and salt was similar. Polypeptides profile is between 6.5 and 50 kDa.
Conclusions: Sesame seed is a good source of proteins. Globulins and albumins were identified in the sesame protein isolate in the presence of water
Keywords: Sesame, Protein isolate, Proteins, Globulins and albumins.
purification, and biochemical characterization of a novel water soluble
protein from Inca peanut (Plukenetia volubilis L.). J Agric Food Chem
2. FAOSTAT. FAO Statistical Database, 2005. Available from: http://
3. Achouri A, Nail V, Boye JI. Sesame protein isolate: Fraction,
secondary structure and functional properties. Food Res Int
4. Achouri A, Boye JI. Thermal processing, salt and high pressure
treatment effects on molecular structure and antigenicity of sesame
protein isolate. Food Res Int 2013;53:240-51.
5. Czubinski J, Dwiecki K, Siger A, Lampart-Szczapa E,
Nogala-Kalucka M. Interactions between Lupinus angustifolius seeds
lipoxygenase and native phenolic compounds in the model system. Eur
Food Res Technol 2012;235:67-73.
6. Fanali C, Dugo L, Cacciola F, Beccaria M, Grasso S, DachÃ M, et al.
Chemical characterization of sacha inchi (Plukenetia volubilis L.) oil.
J Agric Food Chem 2011;59(24):13043-9.
7. AOAC. Official Methods of Analysis. Washington, DC, USA:
Association of Official Analytical Chemists; 2012.
8. MartÄ±Ãnez NE, AÃ±Ã³n MC. Composition and structural characterization
of amaranth protein isolates. An electrophoretic and calorimetric study.
J Agric Food Chem 1996;44:2523-30.
9. Gornall AG, Bardawill CJ, David MM. Determination of
serum proteins by means of the biuret reaction. J Biol Chem
10. Laemmli UK. Cleavage of structural proteins during the assembly of
the head of bacteriophage T4. Nature 1970;227(5259):680-5.
11. Hamaker BR, Valles C, Gilman R, Hardmeier RM, Clark D, Garcia HH,
et al. Amino acid and fatty acid profiles of the inca peanut (Plukenetia
volubilis). Cereal Chem 1992;69:461-3.
12. Romero-Zepeda H, Paredes-Lopez O. Isolation and characterization
of amaranthin. The 11S amaranth seed globulin. J Food Chem
13. Wolf WJ. Purification and properties of the proteins. In: Smith AK,
Circle SJ, editors. Soybean: Chemistry and Technology, Proteins.
Vol. 1. New York: Van Nostrand Reinhold AVl.
14. Brinegar C, Goundan S. Isolation and characterization of chenopod in,
the 11S seed storage protein of quinoa (Chenopodium quinoa). J Agric
Food Chem 1993;41:182-5.
15. Srivastava R, Roy B. Proteomic analysis of different extracts from
amaranth (Amaranthus tricolor) grains. Asian J Pharm Clin Res
16. Brinegar C, Sine B, Nwokocha L. High-cysteine 2S seed storage
proteins from quinoa (Chenopodium quinoa). J Agric Food Chem
17. Bandyopadhyay K, Ghosh S. Preparation and characterization of
papain-modified sesame (Sesamum indicum L.) protein isolates. J Agric
Food Chem 2002;50(23):6854-7.
Asian J Pharm Clin Res, Vol 9, Issue 3, 2016, 404-407
Poveda et al.
18. Tai SS, Wu LS, Chen EC, Tzen JT. Molecular cloning of 11S globulin
and 2S albumin, the two major seed storage proteins in sesame. J Agric
Food Chem 1999;47(12):4932-8.
19. Brewer D, Franco JM, Garcia-Zapateiro LA. Rheological properties
of oil-in-water emulsions prepared with oil and protein isolates from
sesame (Sesamum indicum). Food Sci Technol 2016;2016:64-69.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.