PREDOMINANCE AND INFLUENCE OF VITAMIN D DEFICIENCY ON GLYCEMIC AND LIPID INDICES IN TYPE 2 DIABETES SUBJECTS: A CASE CONTROL STUDY
To investigate the existence of vitamin D deficiency (VDD) among type 2 diabetes, non-diabetes subjects and its effect on both glycemic and lipid profiles.
A case control study was conducted on 200 subjects of both gender (100 type 2 diabetes and 100 non-diabetes individuals) aged 40 to 60 years. Fasting serum 25(OH) D levels, Fasting Blood Sugar (FBS), HbA1C, lipid profile including total cholesterol, triglycerides, high density lipoprotein, low density lipoprotein TC/HDL and very low density lipoprotein were estimated. Atherogenic Index of Plasma (AIP) was calculated. Group comparisons were done by one way ANOVA followed by post hoc Tukey's test and Student's independent T test. Chi-square test was performed for categorical variables. Correlation was done by Pearson's analysis. P < 0.05 was considered significant.
The average serum 25(OH) D levels were significantly (p<0.001) low in diabetes group. The prevalence of VDD and the percentage of insufficient and sufficient categories was significantly (p<0.001) high and low respectively in diabetes group. In the deficient category diabetes group had severe VDD with significantly low HDL and elevated triglycerides and there was an insignificant but negative association between serum vitamin D levels, FBS, HbA1c, TC, TG, LDL, TC / HDL and AIP among diabetes subjects.
The occurrence of severe vitamin D deficiency coupled with the independent association of the same with the glycemic and lipid profiles in type 2 diabetes may further add to the aggravation of complicationsÂ
Keywords: Vitamin D deficiency, Type 2 diabetes, Glycemic and lipid indices
2. Alvarez JA, Ashraf A. Role of vitamin d in insulin secretion and insulin sensitivity for glucose homeostasis. Int J Endocrinol. 2010; 351-385.
3. Scragg R, Sowers M, Bell C: Serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D, ethnicity, and blood pressure in the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Am J Hypertens 2007; 20:713-19.
4. Michos ED, Melamed ML: Vitamin D and cardiovascular disease risk. Curr Opin Clin Nutr 2008; 11:7â€“12.
5. Wang TJ, Pencina MJ, Booth SL, Jacques PF, Ingelsson E, Lanier K, et al. Vitamin D deficiency and risk of cardiovascular disease. Circulation 2008; 117:503-11.
6. Holick MF: High prevalence of vitamin D inadequacy and implications for health. Mayo Clin Proc 2006; 81:353-73.
7. Witham MD, Dove FJ, Dryburgh M, Sugden JA, Morris AD, Struthers AD. The effect of different doses of vitamin D3 on markers of vascular health in patients with type 2 diabetes: a randomised controlled trial. Diabetologia. 2010; 53:2112-9.
8. Skyler JS, Bergenstal R, Bonow RO, Buse J, Deedwania P, Gale EA, et al. Intensive glycemic control and the prevention of cardiovascular events: Implications of the accord, advance, and VA diabetes trials: A position statement of the american diabetes association and a scientific statement of the american college of cardiology foundation and the american heart association. Circulation. 2009; 19:351-7.
9. Saedisomeolia A, Taheri E, Djalali M, Moghadam AM, Qorbani M. Association between serum level of vitamin D and lipid profiles in type 2 diabetic patients in Iran. J Diabetes Metab Disord. 2014;13:7.
10. Munoz-Aguirre P, Flores M, Macias N, Quezada AD, Denova-GutiÃ©rrez E, Salmeron J. The effect of vitamin D supplementation on serum lipids in postmenopausal women with diabetes: A randomized controlled trial. Clin Nutr. 2015; 34:799-804.
11. Bi X, Tey SL, Leong C, Quek R, Henry CJ. Prevalence of Vitamin D Deficiency in Singapore: Its Implications to Cardiovascular Risk Factors. PLoS One. 2016; 11:e0147616.
12. Bayani MA, Banasaz B, Saeedi F. Status of Vitamin-D in diabetic patients and compared it with healthy individuals. Caspian J Intern Med 2014; 5: 40-42.
13. Goswami R, Gupta N, Ray D, Singh N, Tomar N. Pattern of 25-hydroxy vitamin D response at short (2 month) and long (1 year) interval after 8 weeks of oral supplementation with cholecalciferol in Asian Indians with chronic hypovitaminosis D. Br J Nutr 2008;100:526-9.
14. Boucher BJ, Mannan N, Noonan K, Hales CN, Evans SJ. Glucose intolerance and impairment of insulin secretion in relation to vitamin D deficiency in east London Asians. Diabetologia. 1995; 38:1239-45.
15. Isaia G, Giorgino R, Adami S. High prevalence of hypovitaminosis D in female type 2 diabetic population. Diabetes Care. 2001; 24:1496.
16. Mattila C, Knekt P, Mannisto S, Rissanen H, Laaksonen MA, Montonen J, et al. Serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D concentration and subsequent risk of type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Care. 2007; 30:2569-70.
17. Chakhtoura M, Azar ST. The role of vitamin d deficiency in the incidence, progression, and complications of type 1 diabetes mellitus. Int J Endocrinol.2013; 148673.
18. Pittas AG. The role of vitamin D and calcium in type 2 diabetes. A systematic review and meta-analysis. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2007; 92: 2017-29.
19. Bajaj S, Singh RP, Dwivedi NC, Singh K, Gupta A, Mathur M. Vitamin D levels and microvascular complications in type 2 diabetes. Indian J Endocrinol Metab. 2014; 18:537-41.
20. Chaudhary S, Thukral A, Tiwari S, Pratyush DD, Singh SK. Vitamin D status of patients with type 2 diabetes and sputum positive pulmonary tuberculosis. Indian J Endocrinol Metab. 2013; 17:S670-3.
21. Karhapaa P, Pihlajamaki J, Porsti I, Kastarinen M, Mustonen J, Niemela O, et al. Diverse associations of 25-hydroxyvitamin D and 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D with dyslipidaemias. J Intern Med 2010; 268:604-10.
22. Jorde R, Grimnes G. Vitamin D and metabolic health with special reference to the effect of vitamin D on serum lipids. Prog Lipid Res 2011; 50:303 -12.
23. Bi X, Tey SL, Leong C, Quek R, Henry CJ. Prevalence of Vitamin D Deficiency in Singapore: Its Implications to Cardiovascular Risk Factors. PLoS ONE 2016; 11: e0147616.
24. Dobiasova M, Frohlich J. The plasma parameter log (TG/HDL-C) as an atherogenic index: correlation with lipoprotein particle size and esterification rate in apoB-lipoprotein-depleted plasma (FERHDL). Clin Biochem. 2001; 34:583-88.
25. Saedisomeolia A, Taheri E, Djalali M, Moghadam AM, Qorbani M. Association between serum level of vitamin D and lipid profiles in type 2 diabetic patients in Iran. J Diabetes Metab Disord. 2014; 7; 13:7.
26. Wang JH, Keisala T, Solakivi T, Minasyan A, Kalueff AV, Tuohimaa P: Serum cholesterol and expression of ApoAI, LXR [beta] and SREBP2 in vitamin D receptor knock-out mice. The J Steroid Biochem 2009; 113:222â€“226.
27. Querfeld U, Hoffmann MM, Klaus G, Eifinger F, Ackerschott M, Michalk D, et al. Antagonistic effects of vitamin D and parathyroid hormone on lipoprotein lipase in cultured adipocytes. J Am Soc Nephrol 1999; 10:2158â€“2164.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.