AUGMENTIN INDUCED THROMBOCYTOSIS: A MAIDEN CASE SERIES
When an infected patient suffers from thrombocytosis, it is very difficult to identify beta-lactam antibiotic induced cases of the disease and separate those from the possibility that thrombocytosis is an acute-phase reaction in the infected patient. We present 3 cases who were treated with Augmentin for various indications and developed thrombocytosis during the treatment course. The Naranjo probability scale indicates Augmentin as the possible cause of the thrombocytosis in all our patients.
2. Kaur SP, Rao R, Nanda SA. Amoxicillin: a broad-spectrum antibiotic. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci. 2011;3(3):30-7.
3. Salvo F, Polimeni G, Moretti U, Conforti A, Leone R, Leoni O, Motola D, Dusi G, Caputi AP. Adverse drug reactions related to amoxicillin alone and in association with clavulanic acid: data from spontaneous reporting in Italy. Journal of antimicrobial chemotherapy. 2007 Jul 1;60(1):121-6.
4. Finsterer J, Kotzailias N. Thrombocytosis under ciprofloxacin and tazobactam/piperacillin. Platelets 2003; 14:329â€“331.
5. Moody SB, Pawlicki KS. Thrombocytosis and hyperkalemia associated with the use of ticarcillin/clavulanic acid. Drug
6. Intell Clin Pharm 1987; 21:292â€“293.Kristjansson K, Cox F, Taylor L Ticarcillin/clavulanic acid combination. Treatment of bacterial infections in hospitalized children. Clin Pediatr (Phila) 1989; 28:521â€“524.
7. Yang CJ, Hwang JJ, Hung JY, Chong IW, Huang MS. Extreme thrombocytosis under the treatment by amoxicillin/clavulanate. Pharmacy World and Science. 2006 Oct 1;28(5):326-8.
8. Mantadakis E, Tsalkidis A, Chatzimichael A. Thrombocytosis in childhood. Indian Pediatr. 2008 Aug 1;45(8):669-77.
9. Balaji O, Navin P, Avinash A, Amod T. Cefuroxime-induced thrombocytopenia: itâ€™s just not in the ring? Asian J Pharms Clin Res. 2016;9(5): 1-2.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.