L-GLUTAMINE ERADICATES HELICOBACTER PYLORI GASTRITIS: A NOVEL CASE REPORT
Â Helicobacter pylori is the most common infection causing gastrointestinal diseases in the developing countries. It causes oxidative damage to gastric mucosal cells thereby altering the epithelial proliferation of these cells. With proton pump inhibitors and antibiotics being the mainstay in the management of symptoms, preclinical and clinical research is making inroads with novel therapeutic innovations to target the bacterium with the help of antioxidants. Hence, we report the first case of the treatment and eradication of H. pylori using L-glutamine, a sports medicine supplement with high antioxidant potential.
2. Loyd RA, McClellan DA. Update on the evaluation and management of functional dyspepsia. Am Fam Physician 2011;83(5):547-52.
3. Malfertheiner P, Megraud F, Oâ€™Morain CA, Atherton J, Axon AT, Bazzoli F, et al. Management of Helicobacter pylori infection - The Maastricht IV/Florence Consensus Report. Gut 2012;61(5):646-64.
4. Gatta L, Vakil N, Leandro G, Di Mario F, Vaira D. Sequential therapy or triple therapy for Helicobacter pylori infection: Systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials in adults and children. Am J Gastroenterol 2009;104(12):3069-79.
5. StenstrÃ¶m B, Mendis A, Marshall B. Helicobacter pylori - The latest in diagnosis and treatment. Aust Fam Physician 2008;37(8):608-12.
6. Ding SZ, Minohara Y, Fan XJ, Wang J, Reyes VE, Patel J, et al. Helicobacter pylori infection induces oxidative stress and programmed cell death in human gastric epithelial cells. Infect Immun 2007;75(8):4030-9.
7. Lytton SD, Fischer W, Nagel W, Haas R, Beck FX. Production of ammonium by Helicobacter pylori mediates occludin processing and disruption of tight junctions in Caco-2 cells. Microbiology 2005;151:3267-76.
8. Ashwini P, Sumana MN, Shilpa U, Mamatha P, Manasa P, Dhananjaya BL, et al. A review on Helicobacter pylori: Its biology, complications and management. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2011;7 Suppl 1:14-20.
9. Heyland DK, Elke G, Cook D, Berger MM, Wischmeyer PE, Albert M, et al. Glutamine and antioxidants in the critically ill patient: A post hoc analysis of a large-scale randomized trial. JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr 2015;39(4):401-9.
10. Amagase K, Nakamura E, Endo T, Hayashi S, Hasumura M, Uneyama H, et al. New frontiers in gut nutrient sensor research: Prophylactic effect of glutamine against Helicobacter pylori-induced gastric diseases in mongolian gerbils. J Pharmacol Sci 2010;112(1):25-32.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.