GEMCITABINE INDUCED DROP IN PLATELET COUNTS: A CASE REPORT
Chemotherapy with anticancer drugs is known to be beneficial, but like a double-edged sword it as its own demerits in form of adverse effects. Cancer chemotherapy induced thrombocytopenia is troublesome and platin based regimens namely Carboplatin and Cisplatin is known to cause it very commonly. Gemcitabine, in combination with platinum compounds is known to cause severe thrombocytopenia. Hence, we report a case of thrombocytopenia induced by Gemcitabine when used as single agent in treatment of ovarian cancer.
1. Bandari et al. Optimization of lyophilization cycles for gemcitabine. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci. 2013;5(2):216-221.
2. Mini E, Nobili SF, Caciagli BF, Landini I, Mazzei T. Cellular pharmacology of gemcitabine. Annals of Oncology. 2006 1;17(5): v7-12.
3. Yerramilli et al. A study on the adverse effects of anticancer drugs in an oncology center of a tertiary care hospital. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci, 2014; 6: 580- 583
4. Ten Berg MJ, Van den Bemt PM, Shantakumar S, Bennett D, Voest EE, Huisman A, van Solinge WW, Egberts TC. Thrombocytopenia in Adult Cancer Patients Receiving Cytotoxic Chemotherapy. Drug safety. 2011 Dec 1;34(12):1151.
5. Kuter DJ. Managing thrombocytopenia associated with cancer chemotherapy. Oncology (Williston Park). 2015 Apr 1;29(4):282-94.
6. Naranjo CA, Busto U, Sellers EM, Sandor P, Ruiz I, RobertsEA, et al. A method for estimating the probability of adverse drug reactions. Clin Pharmacol Ther 1981; 30:239-45.
7. Hartwig SC, Siegel J, Schneider PJ. Preventability and severity assessment in reporting adverse drug reactions. Am J Hosp Pharm. 1992; 49:2229â€“32.
8. Schumock GT, Thornton JP. Focusing on the preventability of adverse drug reactions. Hosp Pharm.1992; 27:538
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.