ANTIOXIDANT PROFILE AND PHYTOCHEMICAL CONTENT OF DIFFERENT PARTS OF SUPER RED DRAGON FRUIT (HYLOCEREUS COSTARICENSIS) COLLECTED FROM WEST JAVA-INDONESIA
Objectives: The goals of this research were to observe antioxidant properties from different parts of super red dragon fruit (Hylocereus costaricensis) using two antioxidant testing methods which were 2,2-diphenyl-1-picrylhydrazyl (DPPH) and 2,2'-azino-bis (3-ethylbenzthiazoline-6-sulfonic acid) (ABTS).
Methods: Antioxidant activities were determined using DPPH and ABTS assays, total phenolic content (TPC) using Folinâ€“Ciocalteu reagent, flavonoid content by Chang's method.
Results: Inhibitory concentration 50% (IC50) of DPPH scavenging activity of all of the extracts in the range of 2.69 Î¼g/ml was âˆ’94.17 Î¼g/ml. The ethyl acetate peel extract of super red dragon fruit expressed the highest TPC (4.56 g GAE/100 g) and the highest total flavonoid content (12.63 g QE/100 g). TPC in flesh extract of super red dragon fruit had a negative and significant correlation with their IC50 of ABTS. The IC50 of DPPH and IC50 of ABTS of flesh extract of super red dragon fruit showed positive and significant correlation.
Conclusion: All different parts extracts of super red dragon fruit (except n-hexane flesh extract) were categorized as a very strong antioxidant by DPPH method. Phenolic compounds in flesh extract of super red dragon fruit were the major contributor in antioxidant activities by ABTS method. DPPH and ABTS showed linear results in antioxidant activities of super red dragon fruit flesh extract.
2. Mokbel MS, Hashinaga F. Antibacterial and antioxidant activities of banana (Musa, AAA cv. Cavendish) fruits peel. Am J Biochem Biotechnol 2005;1(3):125-31.
3. Ohta T, Morinaga H, Yamamoto TT, Yamada T. Effect of phlorizin on metabolic abnormalities in spontaneously diabetic torii (SDT) rats. Open J Anim Sci 2012;2(2):113-8.
4. Sebei K, Gnouma A, Herchi W, Sakouhi F, Boukhchina S. Lipids, proteins, phenolic composition, antioxidant and antibacterial activities of seeds of peanuts (Arachis hypogaea l) cultivated in Tunisia. Biol Res 2013;46(3):257-63.
5. Pellegrini N, Serafini M, Colombi B, Del Rio D, Salvatore S, Bianchi M, et al. Total antioxidant capacity of plant foods, beverages and oils consumed in Italy assessed by three different in vitro assays. J Nutr 2003;133(9):2812-9.
6. Thaipong K, Boonprakob U, Crosby K, Zevallos LC, Byrne DH. Comparison of ABTS, DPPH, FRAP, and ORAC assays for estimating antioxidant activity from guava fruit extracts. J Food Comp Anal 2006;19:669-75.
7. Settharaksa S, Madaka F, Chakree K, Charoenchai L. Total phenolic and flavonoid contents and antioxidant properties of Thai traditional herbal. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6(9):564-6.
8. Arya N, Prakash OM, Verma AK, Vivekanand, Pant AK. Variation in antioxidant potential of Curcuma longa L. collected from different ecological niches of western Himalayan region. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;7(7):85-90.
9. Adnan L, Osman, A, Hamid AA. Antioxidant activity of different extracts of red pitaya (Hylocereus polyrhizus) seed. Int J Food Prop 2011;14(6):1171-81.
10. De Mello FR, Bernardo C, Dias CO, Gonzaga L, Amante ER, Fett R, et al. Antioxidant properties, quantification and stability of betalains from pitaya (Hylocereus undatus) peel. CiÃªnc Rural 2015;45(2):323-8.
11. Choo WS, Yong WK. Antioxidant properties of two species of Hylocereus fruits. Adv Appl Sci Res 2011;2(3):418-25.
12. Nurliyana R, Zahir IS, Suleiman KM, Aisyah MR, Rahim KK. Antioxidant study of pulps and peels of dragon fruits: A comparative study. Int Food Res J 2010;17:367-75.
13. Blois MS. Antioxidant determination by the use of stable free radicals. Nature 1958;181:1199-2000.
14. Li XC, Wang XZ, Chen DF, Chen SZ Antioxidant activity and mechanism of protochatechuic acid in vitro. J Funct Foods Health Dis 2011;1(7):232-44.
15. Pourmorad F, Hosseinimehr SJ, Shahabimajd N. Antioxidant activity, phenol and flavonoid content of some selected Iranian medicinal plants. Afr J Biotechnol 2006;5(11):1142-5.
16. Chang CC, Yang MH, Wen HM, Chern JC. Estimation of total flavonoid content in propolis by two complementary colorimetric methods. J Food Drug Anal 2002;10:178-82.
17. Apak R, Gorinstein S, BÃ¶hm VK, Schaich MK. Methods of measurement and evaluation of natural antioxidant capacity/activity: IUPAC technical report. Pure Appl Chem 2013;85:957-98.
18. Prior RL, Wu X, Schaich K. Standardized methods for the determination of antioxidant capacity and phenolics in foods and dietary supplements. J Agric Food Chem 2005;53(10):4290-302.
19. Rebecca OP, Boyce AN, Chandran S. Pigment identification and antioxidant properties of red dragon fruit (Hylocereus polyrhizus). Afr J Biotechnol 2010;9(10):1450-4.
20. Luo H, Cai Y, Peng Z, Liu T, Yang S. Chemical composition and in vitro evaluation of the cytotoxic and antioxidant activities of supercritical carbon dioxide extracts of pitaya (dragon fruit) peel. Chem Cent J 2014;8(1):1.
21. Halimoon N, Hasan MH. Determination and evaluation of ant oxidative activity in red dragon fruit (Hylocereus undatus) and green kiwi fruit (Actinidia deliciosa). Am J Appl Sci 2010;7(11):1432-8.
22. Barreira JC, Ferreira IC, Oliveira MB, Pereira JA. Effects of different phenols extraction conditions on antioxidant activity of almond (Prunus dulcis) fruits. J Food Biochem 2009;33(6):763-76.
23. Miliauskas G, Venskutonis PR, van Beek TA. Screening of radical scavenging activity of some medicinal and aromatic plant extracts. Food Chem 2004;85(2):231-7.
24. Mongkolsilp S, Pongbupakit I, Sae-Lee N, Sitthithaworn W. Radical scavenging activity and total phenolic content of medicinal plants used in primary health care. SWU J Pharm Sci 2004;9(1):32-5.
25. Heim KE, Tagliaferro AR, Bobilya DJ. Flavonoid antioxidants: Chemistry, metabolism and structure-activity relationships. J Nutr Biochem 2002;13(10):572-584.
26. Sroka Z, Cisowski W. Hydrogen peroxide scavenging, antioxidant and anti-radical activity of some phenolic acids. Food Chem Toxicol 2003;41(6):753-8.
27. Amic D, Davidovic-Amic D, Beslo D, Rastija V, Lucic B, Trinajstic N. SAR and QSAR of the antioxidant activity of flavonoids. Curr Med Chem 2007;14(7):827-45.
28. Fidrianny I, Johan Y, Sukrasno. Antioxidant activities of different polarity extracts from three organs of makrut lime (Citrus hystrix DC) and correlation with total flavonoid, phenolic, carotenoid content. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2015;8(4):239-43.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.