STOOL FORM SCALE AS AN INDICATOR OF KLUTUK BANANA (MUSA BALBISIANA COLLA) FRUIT EXTRACTS INHIBITION EFFECT AGAINST SHIGELLA DYSENTERIAE ATCC 13313 IN VIVO
Â Objective: Stools consistency is a common symptom indicating in dysenteriae. The aim of this study was to investigate the inhibitory effect of the klutuk banana fruit extract that determine different degrees of stool consistency in dysentery induced by Shigella dysenteriae ATCC 13313.
Methods: The extraction of klutuk banana fruits was prepared using a maceration method. The antidysenteriae activity of the klutuk banana extract was evaluated in vivo. The specific pathogen-free mice were intraperitoneally injected with S. dysentriae suspension cell. Observations were made for 7 days on body weight of mice, total fecal weight every 24 hrs and consistency of stool. The level of stool consistency was measured based on Bristol Stool Chart.
Results: The results indicated that the body weight of each group was decreased the day after induction and the stool consistency was at level 5-6. However, both test groups could achieve the ideal type of stool (type 4) in the same period of time as a group with ciprofloxacin treatment.
Conclusion: It can be concluded that the ethanol extract of klutuk banana fruits is highly potent as natural antidysenteriae against S. dysenteriae.
2. Sur D, Ramamurthy T, Deen J, Bhattacharya SK. Shigellosis: Challenges and management issues. Indian J Med Res 2004;120:454-62.
3. Bhattacharya SK, Sur D. An evaluation of current shigellosis treatment. Expert Opin Pharmacother 2003;4:1315-20.
4. WHO. Guidelines for the Control of Shigellosis, Including Epidemics Due to Shigella dysenteriae Type 1. Geneva: WHO; 2005.
5. Ciesla WP, Guerrant RL. Infectious Diarrhea: Current Diagnosis and Treatment in Infectious Disease. New York: Lange Medical Books; 2003.
6. David AS, Christine L, Carol M, Voravit S. Antimicrobial Resistance in Shigellosis, Cholera and Campylobacteriosis. Geneva: WHO; 2001. p. 8.
7. Kusuma SAF, Soraya RM, Indah F, Resmi M. Study on the antibacterial activity of fruit extracts of Klutuk Banana (Musa balbisiana colla) against Shigella dysenteriae ATCC 13313. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2017;10(7):220-3.
8. Kusuma SAF, Ulfa TW, Ade Z. Evaluation of antibacterial activity of Indonesian varieties sweet potato leaves extract from Cilembu against Shigella S. dysenteriae ATCC 13313. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2017;10(2):377-80.
9. Rene K, Hortense GK, Pascal W, Jean AM, Vidal PE, Michel AF, et al. Activity of aqueous ethanol extract of Euphorbia prostrata ait on Shigella dysenteriae Type 1-induced diarrhea in rats. Indian J Pharmacol 2007;39:240-4.
10. Kernbaum S. Elements of Infectious Pathology. 6th ed. Paris: SIMEP; 1996.
11. Kumari S, Mazumder A, Bhattacharya S. Pharmacognostical and antimicrobial studies of the stem of Tabernaemontana divaricate Linn. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;7(8):101-4.
12. Ahmad B, Mohd KS, Abdurrazak M, Rao M, Zin T. Phytochemical screening, antioxidant activity of pure syringing in comparison to various solvents extracts of Musa Ã— paradisiaca (banana) (fruit and flower) and total phenolic contents. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;7(5):242-7.
13. Di Carlo G, Autore G, Izzo AA, Maiolino P, Mascolo N, Viola P, et al. Inhibition of intestinal motility and secretion by flavonoids in mice and rats: Structure-activity relationships. J Pharm Pharmacol 1993;45(2):1054-9.
14. Balter-Seri J, Yuhas Y, Weizman A, Nofech-Mozes Y, Kaminsky E, Ashkenazi S. Role of nitric oxide in the enhancement of pentylenetetrazole-induced seizures caused by Shigella dysenteriae. Infect Immun 1999;67(12):6364-8.
15. Camuesco D, Comalada M, Rodriguez-Cabezas ME, Nieto A, Lorente MD, Concha A, et al. The intestinal anti-inflammatory effect of quercitrin is associated with an inhibition in iNOS expression. Br J Pharmacol 2004;143(90):8-18.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.