OPTIMIZATION OF ASPERGILLUS ORYZAE FERMENTATION CONDITIONS FOR KOJIC ACID PRODUCTION
Objective: The objective of this study is to obtain the optimal fermentation conditions for Aspergillus oryzae by gradually optimizing the medium and
Methods: Fermentation condition were optimized by varying carbon and nitrogen sources, pH medium, temperature, and aeration condition. Levels
of kojic acid were determined using thin-layer chromatography-densitometry with an ultraviolet detector at a wavelength of 318 nm.
Results: A combination of sucrose and yeast extract was chosen as the best source of carbon and nitrogen, respectively, from nine medium variations,
producing 1.5425 g/L kojic acid. The optimum acidity of the medium was at pH 4.5, producing 1.7127 g/L of kojic acid, compared with pH 3.5 and
5.5. Compared with fermentation at room temperature, fermentation at 35Â°C yielded greater kojic acid production. The best aeration condition was
100 mL medium in 250 mL flask that produced the most kojic acid (1.6472 g/L).
Conclusion: The optimal medium for fermentation of kojic acid using A. oryzae uses sucrose and yeast extract as carbon and nitrogen sources,
respectively, at pH 4.5. The optimal aeration and incubation conditions were used, a volume of 100 mL in a 250 mL conical flask, incubated at 35Â°C,
obtaining the highest yield value of 0.0370 g/g.
Kojic acid: Applications and development of fermentation process for
production. Biotechnol Mol Biol R 2010;5:24-37.
2. Hassan H, Saad A, Hazzaa M, Ibrahim E. Optimization study for the
production of kojic acid crystals by Aspergillus oryzae var. effusus
NRC 14 isolate. Int J Curr Microbiol Appl Sci 2014;3:133-42.
3. Sauriasari R, Azizah N, Basah K. Tyrosinase inhibition,
2-2- diphenyl-1-picrylhydrazyl radical scavenging activity, and
phtochemical screening of fractions and ethanol extract from leaves
and stem bark of matoa (Pometia pinnata). Asian J Pharm Clin Res
4. Mukul S, Surabhi K, Atul N. Cosmeceutical for the skin: An overview.
Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2011;4:1-6.
5. Piantavini MS, Goncalves AG, Trindade AC, Merce AL, Pontarolo R.
Development and validation of a UV spectrophotometric method for
kojic acid quantification based on its aluminum complexes. Asian J
Pharm Clin Res 2013;6:70-3.
6. Shurtleff W, Aoyagi A. History of Soy Sauce (160 CE to 2012).
Lafayette, (CA): Soyinfo Center; 2012.
7. Kulp K, Ponte J. Handbook of Cereal Science and Technology.
New York: Marcel Dekker; 2000.
8. El-Aziz AB. Improvement of kojic acid production by a mutant strain
of Aspergillus flavus. J Nat Sci Res 2013;3:31-41.
9. Mirantini A. Isolation, Purification, and Chemical Characterization
of Kojic Acid Produced by the Aspergillus flavus Mutant Strain
M3B7F7E8. Depok: Universitas Indonesia; 2007.
10. Suryadi H, Radji M, Dianingtyas J, Hidayah A. Improvement of Kojic
Acid Production by a Mutant Strain of Aspergillus flavus, N40C10.
Bandung, Indonesia: International Conference of Mathemathics and
Natural Sciences; 2006.
11. Dubois M, Gilles KA, Hamilton JK, Rebers PA, Smith F. Colorimetric
method for determination of sugars and related substances. Anal Chem