VALIDATION AND ANALYSIS OF DIALLYL DISULFIDE AND DIALLYL TRISULFIDE IN GARLIC (ALLIUM SATIVUM L.) USING GAS CHROMATOGRAPHY
Objective: The purpose of this research was to optimize and validate a method for measuring the levels of diallyl disulfide (DADS) and diallyl trisulfide
(DATS) in garlic and single clove garlic.
Methods: The analysis was performed using gas chromatography (GC) equipped with an HP-1 column and a flame ionization detector. The initial
column temperature was set at 140°C and increased at 1°C/min to 180°C. The injector and detector temperatures were set to 200°C, the carrier gas
flow rate was 0.80 mL/min, and the injection volume was 1.0 μL. The optimized conditions of analysis were then validated which included selectivity,
linearity, accuracy, precision, limit of detection (LOD), and limit of quantification (LOQ).
Results: Using the validated assay and a concentration range of 0.5–20 μg/mL, the coefficient of correlation (r) for DADS was 0.9999 and the LOD
and LOQ for DADS were 0.3063 μg/mL and 1.0210 μg/mL, respectively. Using the validated assay and a concentration range of 0.5–20 μg/mL, the
coefficient of correlation for DATS was 0.9999 and the LOD and LOQ for DATS were 0.1986 μg/mL and 0.6621 μg/mL, respectively. The percentage of
recovery was in the range of 98.05–101.76% and coefficient of variation ≤ 2%.
Conclusion: This GC method accurately measures the levels of DADS and DATS in garlic.
gel containing garlic (Allium sativum) against Propionibacterium
acnes. Asian J Phram Clin Res 2017;10:260-2.
2. Wijaya P. Analisis Konsumsi dan Ketersediaan Bawang Putih di
Indonesia Analysis of Garlic Consumption and Expenditures in
Indonesia. Yogyakarta, Indonesia: UGM Press; 2014.
3. Martins N, Petropoulos S, Ferreira IC. Chemical composition and
bioactive compounds of garlic (Allium sativum L.) as affected by preand
post-harvest conditions: A review. Food Chem 2016;211:41-50.
4. Guo W, Cheng ZY, Zhu YZ. Hydrogen sulfide and translational
medicine. Acta Pharmacol Sin 2013;34:1284-91.
5. Jang H, Lee H, Yoon D, Ji D, Kim J, Lee C. Antioxidant and
antimicrobial activities of fresh garlic and aged garlic by-products
extracted with different solvents. Food Sci Biotechnol 2017;11:
6. Jainarinesingh J. Herbs that ensure good health and longevity. West
Indian Med J 2014;63:90-1.
7. Tsai C, Chen H, Sheen L, Lili C. Garlic: Health benefits and actions.
8. Hernawan U, Setyawan A. Senyawa organosulfur bawang putih (Allium
sativum L.) dan aktivitas biologinya. Biofarmasi 2003;1:66-76.
9. Tocmo R, Wu Y, Liang D, Fogliano V, Huang D. Boiling enriches the
linear polysulfides and the hydrogen sulfide-releasing activity of garlic.
Food Chem 2017;221:1867-73.
10. Lim S, Lee J, Kim J, Choi G, Cho N, Park B. Determination of dimethyl
disulfide, diallyl disulfide, and diallyl trisulfide in biopesticides
containing Allium sativum extract by gas chromatography. Korean J
Environ Agr 2014;33:381-7.
11. Kim S, Lee S, Shin D, Yoo M. Validation of a high-performance liquid
chromatography photo-diode array method for the temperature effects
on Alk(En)yl sulfides in garlic extracts. J Liq Chromatogr Relat Technol
12. Douaouya L, Bouzerna N. Effect of garlic (Allium Sativum L) on
biochemical parameters and histopathology of pancreas of alloxaninduced
diabetic rats. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2016;8:202-6.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.