DEVELOPMENT AND VALIDATION OF AN ANALYTICAL METHOD FOR THE DETERMINATION OF METHYLISOTHIAZOLINONE AND METHYLCHLOROISOTHIAZOLINONE IN COSMETIC PRODUCTS USING MATRIX SOLID-PHASE DISPERSION COUPLED TO GAS CHROMATOGRAPHY-MASS SPECTROMETRY
Objective: This study was to develop the first simultaneous method for quantification of MI and MCI by using matrix solid-phase dispersion (MSPD) as an extraction technique followed by gas chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry (GC-MS) in cosmetic products to support that law enforcement.
Methods: The MI and MCI were extracted from the cosmetic sample by using matrix solid-phase dispersion technique with alumina as solid sorbent and ethyl acetate as eluent. After being isolated, MI and MCI from the samples were analyzed using GC-MS equipped with DB-5MS capillary column.
Results: The validated method for both leave-on and rinse-off cosmetic showed that MI and MCI recoveries were between 97.87-103.15 %, relative standard deviation (RSD) values were lower than 11%, and limit of quantitation (LOQ) values for the leave-on product were 0.96 µg/ml and 1.95 µg/ml and for rinse-off products were 0.56 µg/ml and 1.49 µg/ml for MI and MCI, respectively.
Conclusion: This purposed analytical method for determining MI and MCI in cosmetic products using MSPD-GC-MS complies with the validation acceptance criteria.
2. Magdaleno Tapial J, Valenzuela Onate C, Ortiz Salvador JM, Garcia Legaz Martinez M, Martinez Domenech A, Alonso Carpio M, et al. Contact allergy to isothiazolinones epidemic: current situation. Contact Dermatitis 2019;1–4.
3. Badan Pengawas Obat dan Makanan Republik Indonesia. Peraturan badan pengawas obat dan makanan republik Indonesia nomor 23 tahun 2019 tentang persyaratan teknis bahan kosmetika. Jakarta: Badan Pengawas Obat dan Makanan Republik Indonesia; 2019.
4. Ilankizhai RJ, Gayathri R, Vishnupriya V. Cosmetic contamination awareness among adolescent females. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2016;9:117–20.
5. Balakrishnan J, Appalasamy JR. Skin infection and the global challenges: a review. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2016;8:1–3.
6. Balakrishnan J, Appalasamy JR, Verma RK. A study on awareness of skin infection among adults in Petaling district, Malaysia. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2016;8:136–9.
7. Silva V, Silva C, Soares P, Garrido EM, Borges F, Garrido J. Isothiazolinone biocides: chemistry, biological, and toxicity profiles. Molecules 2020;25:1–22.
8. Rafoth A, Gabriel S, Sacher F, Brauch HJ. Analysis of isothiazolinones in environmental waters by gas chromatography-mass spectrometry. J Chromatogr A 2007;1164:74–81.
9. Gopalan SV, Hasanah AN. MI-SPE, M-SPE and M-SPD recent application on solid-phase extraction for compound extraction of complex matrices. Int J Appl Pharm 2019;11:16–25.
10. Alvarez Rivera G, Dagnac T, Lores M, Garcia Jares C, Sanchez Prado L, Lamas JP, et al. Determination of isothiazolinone preservatives in cosmetics and household products by matrix solid-phase dispersion followed by high-performance liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry. J Chromatogr A 2012;1270:41–50.
11. Park SK, Kwon JH. The fate of two isothiazolinone biocides, 5-chloro-2-methylisothiazol-3(2H)-one (CMI) and 2-methylisothiazol-3(2H)-one (MI), in liquid air fresheners and assessment of inhalation exposure. Chemosphere 2016;144:2270–6.
12. dos Santos EO, Gonzales JO, Ores JC, Marube LC, Caldas SS, Furlong EB, et al. Sand as a solid support in ultrasound-assisted MSPD: a simple, green and low-cost method for multi-residue pesticide determination in fruits and vegetables. Food Chem 2019;297:1–12.
13. International Conference on Harmonization (ICH). Validation of analytical procedures: text and methodology Q2 (R1). Geneva: International Conference on Harmonization; 2005.
14. Harmita. Analisis fisikokimia: Kromatografi. Vol. 2. Jakarta: Penerbit Buku Kedokteran EGC; 2015.
15. Dettmer Wilde K, Engewald W. Quantitative analysis. In: Dettmer Wilde K, Engewald W. editors. Practical gas chromatography. First. Berlin: Springer-Verlag; 2014. p. 271–302.
16. Caban M, Migowska N, Stepnowski P, Kwiatkowski M, Kumirska J. Matrix effects and recovery calculations in analyses of pharmaceuticals based on the determination of ?-blockers and ?-agonists in environmental samples. J Chromatogr A 2012;1258:117–27.
17. FAO-WHO. Codex alimentarius: Guidelines on performance criteria for methods of analysis for the determination of pesticide residues in food and feed. rome: food and agriculture organization of the united nations; 2017.
18. Wittenberg JB, Canas BJ, Zhou W, Wang PG, Rua D, Krynitsky AJ. Determination of methylisothiazolinone and methylchloroisothiazolinone in cosmetic products by ultra high-performance liquid chromatography with tandem mass spectrometry. J Sep Sci 2015;38:2983–8.
19. Tomas M, Agonia AS, Borges L, de Oliveira AP, de Oliveira RP. Isothiazolinones quantification in shampoo matrices: a matter of method optimization or stability driven by interactions? Cosmetics 2020;7:1-13.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.