EFFECTS OF HONEY PROPOLIS CANDY CONSUMPTION ON MYELOPEROXIDASE ACTIVITY IN UNSTIMULATED SALIVA
Objective: The objective of this study was to assess the effect of honey propolis candy consumption on myeloperoxidase activity in unstimulated
Methods: Myeloperoxidase activity was analyzed in saliva using the absorbance value measured with a microplate reader at a wavelength of 450 nm.
Measurements were carried out by observing the color change from the oxidation reaction of 3,3-diaminobenzidine and guaiacol.
Results: The honey propolis candy and honey candy groups showed an increase in myeloperoxidase activity after treatment, although the change did
not reach the level of statistical significance. The mean change in myeloperoxidase activity was not significantly different between the three groups.
Conclusions: Honey propolis candy does not have a strong effect on myeloperoxidase activity.
Huongtra district Thua Thien Hue Province. J Sci 2010;61:144-51.
2. Ministry of Health, Republic of Indonesia. Basic of health Research
2007. Jakarta: Ministry of Health, Republic of Indonesia; 2008.
3. Skaba D, Morawiec T, Tanasiewicz M, Mertas A, Bobela E, Szliszka E,
et al. Influence of the toothpaste with Brazilian ethanol extract propolis
on the oral cavity health. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med
4. Sari LO. Traditional medicine usage with considering the advantage
and safety. 2006; 3: 1-7.
5. De Luca MP, Franca JR, Macedo FA, Grenho L, Cortes ME, Faraco AA,
et al. Propolis varnish: Antimicrobial properties against cariogenic
bacteria, cytotoxicity, and sustained-release profile. Biomed Res Int
6. Koo H, Rosalen PL, Cury JA, Park YK, Bowen WH. Effects of
compounds found in propolis on Streptococcus mutans growth
and on glucosyltransferase activity. Antimicrob Agents Chemother
7. Sánchez N, Miranda S, Vit P, Rodríguez-Malaver AJ. Propolis protects
against oxidative stress in human saliva. J ApiProd Apimed Sci
8. Di CG, Mascolo N, Angelo A, Capasso F. Minireview flavonoids :
Old and new aspects of a class of natural therapeutic drugs. Life Sci
9. Boufadi YM, Soubhye J, Riazi A, Rousseau A. Characterization
and antioxidant properties of six Algerian propolis extracts : Ethyl
acetate extracts inhibit myeloperoxidase activity. Int J Mol Sci
10. Amerongen VNA. Saliva and Salivary Glands. Yogyakarta: Gadjah
Mada University Press; 1991. p. 1-2, 18-20, 37-38.
11. Tenovuo J, Mäkinen KK, Sievers G. Antibacterial effect of
lactoperoxidase and myeloperoxidase against bacillus cereus.
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 1985;27:96-101.
12. Sakamoto W, Fujii Y, Kanehira T, Asano K, Izumi H. A novel assay
system for myeloperoxidase activity in whole saliva. Clin Biochem
13. Vu?i?evi?-Boras V, Topi? B, Ceki?-Arambašin A, Stavljeni?-
Rukavina A, Zadro R, Dev?i? T. Measurement of salivary peroxidase
values in unstimulated and stimulated whole saliva in a dental student
population. Acta Stomat Croat 2001;2001:357-9.
14. Guentsch A, Preshaw PM, Bremer-Streck S, Klinger G, Glockmann E,
Sigusch BW, et al. Lipid peroxidation and antioxidant activity in saliva
of periodontitis patients: Effect of smoking and periodontal treatment.
Clin Oral Investig 2008;12:345-52.
15. Sahlan M R. Hard Candy Propolis for Oral Health in Jakarta. Jakarta:
Universitas Indonesia; 2011. p. 1-5.
16. Morawiec T, Dziedzic A, Niedzielska I, Mertas A, Tanasiewicz M,
Skaba D, et al. The biological activity of propolis-containing toothpaste
on oral health environment in patients who underwent implant-
supported prosthodontic rehabilitation. Evid Based Complement
Alternat Med 2013;2013:704947.
17. Farooqui T, Farooqui AA. Oxidative stress in vetebrates and
invetebrates: Moleculear aspect of signalling. 1st ed. North America:
Wiley-Blackwell; 2014. p. 245-53.
18. Kaczmarek U. Peroksidase activity in saliva: Origin and functions. Nat
Inst Health 2013;19:405-11.
19. Thomas EL, Jefferson MM, Cook GS, King CC. Leukocyte
myeloperoxisidase and salivary lactoperoxidase: Identification and
quantification in human mixed saliva. J Dental Res 1994;4:73.
20. Setsu E. Cariogenicity of polydextrose and refined polydextrose as a
substrate. J Sci 1989;15:1-11.
21. Soekanto SA, Rosithahakiki N, Suniarti DF, Sahlan M. Comparison of
The Potency of Several Fluoride-Based Varnishes as an Anticariogenic
on Calcium, Phosphate, and Fluoride Ion Levels. Int J App Pharm.
22. Soekanto SA, Fadillah F, Nuraisiya P, Gultom F, Sarwono AT. The
Potential of Several Fluoride-Based Varnishes As Remineralization
Agents: Morphological Studies, Dentin Surface Hardness, and
Crystallinity Tests. Int J App Pharm, 2017;2:60-6.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.