THE EFFECTS OF MIXTURES OF VARIOUS CONCENTRATIONS OF CARBOXYMETHYL CHITOSAN/AMORPHOUS CALCIUM PHOSPHATE WITH GYPSUM ON DENTIN REMINERALIZATION
Objective: Carboxymethyl chitosan/amorphous calcium phosphate (CMC/ACP) is a non-collagen protein analog with the ability of dentin
remineralization, and gypsum is a compound material than can facilitate application of CMC/ACP. CMC/ACP concentration is claimed to increase
calcium and phosphate concentration, which indicates dentin remineralization. The aim of this study is to observe the effects of different concentrations
of CMC/ACP mixed with gypsum on dentin remineralization.
Methods: Occlusal cavities were created in 18 freshly extracted teeth, and the teeth were divided into three groups. The first group consisted of
untreated demineralized dentin, and the second and third groups were treated with mixtures of 2.5% and 5% CMC/ACP and gypsum. All groups
were checked and analyzed on the 14th day using scanning electron microscopy/energy-dispersive X-ray spectroscopy and one-way ANOVA (p<0.05).
Results: Significant differences (p=0.001) of calcium and phosphate concentrations were found between Groups I, II, and III (p=0.001), whereas no
differences were found between Groups II and III.
Conclusion: Gypsum and CMC/ACP work synergistically to induce dentin remineralization. The highest dentin remineralization was shown by 5%
CMC/ACP-gypsum mixture, but the level was not statistically different from that of 2.5% CMC/ACP-gypsum mixture.
used in endodontic microsurgery. Restor Dent Endod 2014;7658:79-88.
2. Ulusoy AT, Bayrak S, Bodrumlu EH. Clinical and radiological
evaluation of calcium sulfate as direct pulp capping material in primary
teeth. Eur J Paediatr Dent 2014;15:127-31.
3. Thomas MV, Puleo DA. Review calcium sulfate : Properties and clinical
applications. J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater 2009;88:597-610.
4. Narayanan D, Jayakumar R, Chennazhi KP. Versatile carboxymethyl
chitin and chitosan nanomaterials : A review. Nanomed Nanobiotechnol
5. Zargar V, Asghari M, Dashti A. A review on chitin and chitosan
polymers : Structure, chemistry, solubility, derivatives, and applications.
ChemBioEng Rev 2015;2:1-24.
6. Chen Z, Cao S, Wang H, Li Y, Kishen A, Deng X. Biomimetic
remineralization of demineralized dentine using scaffold of CMC/ACP
nanocomplexes in an in vitro tooth model of deep caries. PLoS One
7. Annisa RN. Potensi Carboxymethyl Chitosan/Amorphous Calcium
Phosphate (cmc/acp) Pada Remineralisasi Intrafibrillar Kolagen
Dentin, Thesis. Jakarta, ID: Universitas Indonesia; 2018.
8. Subhi H, Reza F, Husein A, Al Syehadat SA, Nurul AB. Gypsum-based
material for dental pulp capping : Effect of chitosan and gypsumbased
material for dental pulp capping : Effect of chitosan and BMP-
2 on physical, mechanical, and cellular properties. Int J Biomater
9. Cao CY, Mei ML, Li Q, Chin E, Lo M, Chu CH. Methods for biomimetic
remineralization of human dentine : A systematic review. Int J Mol Sci
10. Annisa R, Djauharie N, Suprastiwi E, Avanti N. The effect of
carboxymethyl chitosan/amorphous calcium phosphate to guide tissue
remineralization of dentin collagen. Int J Appl Pharm 2019;11:181-83.
11. Yamin E, Suprastiwi E, Usman M, Hasim S. Effects of Gypsum
Addition on CMC/ACP on the Ability to Remineralize Dentin, Thesis.
Jakarta, ID: Universitas Indonesia; 2019.
12. Setiati HD, Suprastiwi E, Artiningsih D, Utami LP. The Effect of
Carboxymethyl Chitosan Concentration on Amorphous Calcium
Phosphate Ability to Remineralize Dentin, Thesis. Jakarta, ID:
Universitas Indonesia; 2019.
13. Mohammadi Z, Shalavi S, Jafarzadeh H. Ethylenediaminetetraacetic
endodontics acid in endodontics. Eur J Dent 2013;1:S135-42.
14. Combes C. Apatite biominerals. Minerals 2016;6:34.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.