THE EFFECT OF CARBOXYMETHYL CHITOSAN/AMORPHOUS CALCIUM PHOSPHATE TO GUIDE TISSUE REMINERALIZATION OF DENTIN COLLAGEN
Keywords:Carboxymethyl chitosanamorphous calcium phosphate, Guided tissue remineralization, Intrafibrillar remineralization
Objective: Carboxymethyl chitosan/amorphous calcium phosphate (CMC/ACP) can replace the role of dentine matrix protein 1. Guided tissue
remineralization (GTR) is a method of extrafibrillar and intrafibrillar collagen remineralization. This study analyzed the ability of CMC/ACP to achieve
intrafibrillar and extrafibrillar remineralization on demineralized dentin.
Methods: We divided 12 demineralized occlusal cavities into four groups: 7 days control group, 14 days control group, 7 days CMC/ACP group, and
14 days CMC/ACP group. In the control group, the cavities were directly filled with temporary restoration material, while the cavities of the CMC/ACP
groups first underwent application of CMC/ACP and were then filled with temporary restoration material. All samples were stored in a 37°C shaking
incubator. 12 samples were analyzed by energy-dispersive X-ray (EDX) spectroscopy and four were analyzed by transmission electron microscope
Results: From day 7 to day 14, there was a significant increase in calcium and phosphate levels within the CMC/APC groups. The phosphate levels
were much lower than the calcium or minerals formed on the 7th day, in the form of hydroxyapatite. TEM analysis shows that the CMC/ACP group
exhibited more intrafibrillar and extrafibrillar remineralization.
Conclusion: CMC/ACP can improve the GTR process.
Density and Microtensile Bond Strength. MS Thesis, University of
2. Chen Z, Cao S, Wang H, Li Y, Kishen A, Deng X, et al. Biomimetic
remineralization of demineralized dentine using scaffold of CMC/ACP
nanocomplexes in an in vitro tooth model of deep caries. PLoS One
3. Uskokovi? V, Bertassoni LE. Nanotechnology in dental sciences:
Moving towards a finer way of doing dentistry. Materials (Basel)
4. Bertassoni LE, Habelitz S, Kinney JH, Marshall SJ, Marshall GW Jr.
Biomechanical perspective on the remineralization of dentin. Caries
5. Ferreira G, Ines M. Bioactive materials in dentin remineralization.
6. Zhang X, Xiao Z, Wang H, Kishen A. Biomineralization and biomaterial
considerations in dentin remineralization. JODE 2016;1:7-12.
7. Manuscript A, Nanostructures SPC. NIH Public Access.
8. Sousa SM, Silva TL. Demineralization effect of EDTA, EGTA, CDTA
and citric acid on root dentin: A comparative study. Braz Oral Res
9. Toledano M, Osorio R. New advanced materials for high performance
at the resin-dentine interface. Front Oral Biol 2015;17:39-48.
10. Uquillas JA, Kishore V, Akkus O. Effects of phosphate-buffered saline
concentration and incubation time on the mechanical and structural
properties of electrochemically aligned collagen threads. Biomed Mater
11. Tjäderhane L, Carrilho MR, Breschi L, Tay FR, Pashley DH. Dentin
basic structure and composition-an overview. Endod Top 2009;20:3-29.
12. Mourya VK, Inamdar NN, Tiwari A. Carboxymethyl chitosan and its
applications. Adv Mater Lett 2010;1:11-33.
13. Farag RK, Mohamed RR. Synthesis and characterization of
carboxymethyl chitosan nanogels for swelling studies and antimicrobial
activity. Molecules 2012;18:190-203.
14. Budiraharjo R, Neoh KG, Kang ET, Kishen A. Bioactivity of novel
carboxymethyl chitosan scaffold incorporating MTA in a tooth model.
Int Endod J 2010;43:930-9.
15. Burwell AK, Thula-Mata T, Gower LB, Habelitz S, Kurylo M, Ho SP,
et al. Functional remineralization of dentin lesions using polymerinduced
liquid-precursor process. PLoS One 2012;7:e38852.
16. Dai L, Liu Y, Salameh Z, Khan S, Mao J, Pashley DH, et al. Can
caries-affected dentin be completely remineralized by guided tissue
remineralization? Dent Hypotheses 2011;2:74-82.