EFFECT OF TRIPLE ANTIBIOTIC PASTE, CALCIUM HYDROXIDE, LEDERMIX® ON VIABILITY OF PULP MESENCHYMAL STEM CELLS
Objective: The goal of regenerative endodontic therapy is biological healing of the pulp tissue. It involves the disinfection of the canals with irrigants
and medicaments. The medicaments that are currently used for this purpose are a triple antibiotic paste (TAP), calcium hydroxide (Ca[OH]2), and
Ledermix®, a paste containing demeclocycline and triamcinolone. Therefore, the purpose of this study was to evaluate the effects of TAP, Ca(OH)2, and
Ledermix® on the viability of dental pulp stem cells (DPSC).
Methods: Primary cultures of DPSC were obtained from immature third molars. Immunofluorescence assay using STRO-1 marker was performed
to confirm the mesenchymal nature of the DPSC. The cells were exposed to TAP, Ca(OH)2, and Ledermix® at concentrations of 0.1 and 1 mg/mL. Cell
viability was analyzed using the MTT assay.
Results: Significant differences in viability were noted between the cells exposed to the medicaments and those in the control group (p<0.05).
Conclusions: All three medicaments decreased the viability of DPSC, with the Ledermix® paste demonstrating the highest toxic effect.
basis of regenerative endodontic procedures. Pediatr Dent 2013;
2. Rosa V, Della Bona A, Cavalcanti BN, Nör JE. Tissue engineering:
From research to dental clinics. Dent Mater 2012;28:341-8.
3. Gronthos S, Mankani M, Brahim J, Robey PG, Shi S. Postnatal human
dental pulp stem cells (DPSCs) in vitro and in vivo. Proc Natl Acad Sci
U S A 2000;97:13625-30.
4. Jamal M, Chogle S, Goodis H, Karam SM. Dental Stem cells and their
potential role in regenerative medicine. Med Sci 2011;4:53-61.
5. Murray PE, Garcia-Godoy F, Hargreaves KM. Regenerative endodontics:
A review of current status and a call for action. J Endod 2007;
6. Ruparel NB, Teixeira FB, Ferraz CC, Diogenes A. Direct effect of
intracanal medicaments on survival of stem cells of the apical papilla.
J Endod 2012;38:1372-5.
7. Margono A. Mesenchymal Stem Cells from Tissue Fat Potential with
Plasma Product for Odontoblast Cell Regeneration in Pulp Tissue
In Vitro. Dissertation. Jakarta: Universitas Indonesia; 2012.
8. Sato I, Ando-Kurihara N, Kota K, Iwaku M, Hoshino E. Sterilization
of infected root-canal dentine by topical application of mixture of
ciprofloxacin, metronidazole and minocycline in situ. Int Endontic J 1996;
9. Tziafas D. The future role of a molecular approach to pulp-dentinal
regeneration. Caries Res 2004;38:314-20.
10. Garcia-Godoy F, Murray PE. Recommendations for using regenerative
endodontic procedures in permanent immature traumatized teeth. Dent
11. Metzger Z, Basrani B, Goodis HE. Instruments, materials, and devices.
In: Hargreaves KM, Cohen S, Berman LH, editors. Cohen’s Pathway of
the Pulp. 10th ed. Missouri: Mosby Elsevier; 2011. p. 253-5.
12. Bhangdia MB, Nandlal B, Vijaykumar GS, Kulkarni PK,
Shanbhog R. Clinical evaluation of sustained-release metronidazole gel
versus metronidazole solution as an intracanal medicament in abscessed
primary molars. Eur Arch Paediatr Dent 2014;15:19-26.
13. Pérez AL, Spears R, Gutmann JL, Opperman LA. Osteoblasts and MG-
63 osteosarcoma cells behave differently when in contact with proRoot
MTA and white MTA. Int Endod J 2003;36:564-70.
14. Karamzadeh R, Eslaminejad MB, Andrades JA. Dental-related stem
cells and their potential in regenerative medicine. Regen Med Tissue
15. Brar GS, Toor RS. Dental stem cells: Dentinogenic, osteogenic, and
neurogenic differentiation and its clinical cell based therapies. Indian J
Dent Res 2012;23:393-7.
16. Chuensombat S, Khemaleelakul S, Chattipakorn S, Srisuwan T.
Cytotoxic effects and antibacterial efficacy of a 3-antibiotic combination:
An in vitro study. J Endod 2013;39:813-9.
17. Wang Y, Zhao Y, Jia W, Yang J, Ge L. Preliminary study on dental pulp
stem cell-mediated pulp regeneration in canine immature permanent
teeth. J Endod 2013;39:195-201.
18. Trevino EG, Patwardhan AN, Henry MA, Perry G, Dybdal-Hargreaves N,
Hargreaves KM, et al. Effect of irrigants on the survival of human stem
cells of the apical papilla in a platelet-rich plasma scaffold in human
root tips. J Endod 2011;37:1109-15.
19. d’Aquino R, De Rosa A, Laino G, Caruso F, Guida L, Rullo R, et al.
Human dental pulp stem cells: From biology to clinical applications.
J Exp Zool B Mol Dev Evol 2009;312B:408-15.
20. Lovelace TW, Henry MA, Hargreaves KM, Diogenes A. Evaluation
of the delivery of mesenchymal stem cells into the root canal space
of necrotic immature teeth after clinical regenerative endodontic
procedure. J Exp Zool 2011;37:135.
21. Pereira LO, Rubini MR, Silva JR, Oliveira DM, Silva IC, Poças-
Fonseca MJ, et al. Comparison of stem cell properties of cells isolated
from normal and inflamed dental pulps. Int Endod J 2012;45:1080-90.
22. Bao S, Wu Q, McLendon RE, Hao Y, Shi Q, Hjelmeland AB. Glioma
stem cells promote radioresistance by preferential activation of the
DNA damage response. Nature 2006;444:756-60.
23. Mohan KH, Pai S, Rao R, Sripathi H, Prabhu S. Techniques of
Immunofluorescence and their significance. Indian J Dermatol Venereol
24. Robinson JP, Sturgis BS, Kumar GL. Immunofluorescence, IHC
Staining Methods. 5th ed. Ch. 10. Carpinteria, California: Science and
Education Publishing; 2014. p. 61-5.
25. Gerlier D, Thomasset N. Use of MTT colorimetric assay to measure cell
activation. J Immunol Methods 1986;94:57-63.
26. Fotakis G, Timbrell JA. In vitro cytotoxicity assays: Comparison
of LDH, neutral red, MTT and protein assay in hepatoma cell lines
following exposure to cadmium chloride. Toxicol Lett 2006;160:171-7.
27. Dahl JE, Frangou-Polyzois MJ, Polyzois GL. In vitro biocompatibility
of denture relining materials. Gerodontology 2006;23:17-22.
28. Taylor MA, Humen WR, Heithersay GS. Some effects of ledermix
paste and pulpdent paste on mouse fibroblasts and on bacteria in vitro.
Endod Dent Traumatol 1989;5:266-73.
29. Ehrmann EH, Messer HH, Adams GG. The relationship of intracanal
medicaments to postoperative pain in endodontics. Int Endod J 2003;
30. Oliveira MD, Giro EM, Ramalho LT, Abbud R. Tissue response to
direct pulp capping with calcium hydroxide preceded by costicosteroid
or corticosteroid/antibiotic dressing: A histological study in rats. Rev
Odonto Cienc 2009;24:377-82.
31. Banchs F, Trope M. Revascularization of immature permanent teeth with
apical periodontitis: New treatment protocol? J Endod 2004;196?200.
32. Giro EM, Gondim JO, Hebling J, Costa CA. Response of human dental
pulp to calcium hydroxide paste preceded by a corticosteroid/antibiotic
agent. Braz J Oral Sci 2010;9:337-43.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.