ANTIOBESITY EFFECT OF ETHANOL EXTRACT OF ANREDERA CORDIFOLIA (TEN.) STEENIS LEAVES ON OBESE MALE WISTAR RATS INDUCED BY HIGH_CARBOHYDRATE DIET
Objective: Overweight or obesity is one of the health problems that can promote cardiovascular risk diseases such as hypertension, hyperlipidemia, atherosclerosis, and diabetes mellitus. Anredera cordifolia (Ten.) Steen is leaves have been used traditionally to reduce body weight. In this study, the anti obesity effect of ethanol extract of A. cordifolia leaves was tested on obese rats induced by high-carbohydrate diet.
Methods: Animal were divided into five groups consisted of the negative control group, positive control group, an ethanol extract of A. cordifolia leaves at doses of 50 and 100 mg/kg bw group, and Orlistat group at a dose of 21.6 mg/kg bw. High-carbohydrate diet was given ad libitum for 30 d to all mice in groups, except to the negative control group. Then the rats were treated based on their groups for 14 d, and the high-carbohydrate diet was still given during the treatment. The parameters observed were the increment of body weight, food index, and feces index.
Results: The results showed that ethanol extract of A. cordifolia leaves at a dose of 100 mg/kg bw had the lowest increment of body weight (59.97Â±5.63) among other groups, and it was significantly different compared to the positive control group (76.11Â±8.50). The percentage of the food index and feces index did not differ significantly among all test groups.
Conclusion: Ethanol extract of A. cordifolia leaves at a dose of 100 mg/kg bw has a potency of the antiobesity agent by inhibiting the increment of the body weight of obese rats induced by high-carbohydrate diet, without affecting their appetite and bowel movement.
Keywords: Obesity, High-carbohydrate diet, Antiobesity, Anredera cordifolia (Ten.) Steenis
2. Sahib NG, Saari N, Ismail A, Khatib A, Mahomoodally F, Hamid AB. Plantsâ€™ Metabolites as a potential antiobesity agent. Sci World J 2012;2012:1-8. Doi:10.1100/2012/436039. [Epub 15 May 2012]
3. Wilborn C, Beckham J, Campbell B, Harvey T, Galbrath M, La Bounty P, et al. Obesity: prevalence, theories, medical consequences, management, and research directions. Sports Nutr Rev J 2005;2:4â€“31.
4. Herbolt N, Edelstein S. Rapid Reference for nurses: nutrition, Jones and Bartlett Publishers, London, UK; 2000.
5. Sukandar EY, Sutjiatmo AB, Sari NP. Diuretic effect of ethanol extract of Anredera cordifolia (Ten.) Steenis in wistar rat. Proceeding 38th meeting of the national working group. International conference on medical plants, Surabaya, Indonesia; 2010.
6. Djamil R, Suwarso WP, Sumaryono W, Hanafi M. Antioxidant activity of flavonoid from Anredera cordifolia (Ten.) Steenis leaves. Int Res J Pharm 2012;3:241-3.
7. Sukandar EY, Fidrianny I, Adiwibowo LF. Efficacy of ethanol extract of Andredera cordifolia (Ten.) steenis leaves on improving kidney failure in rats. Int J Pharmacol 2011;7:850-5.
8. Sukandar EY, Sigit JI, Adiwibowo LF. Study of kidney repair mechanism of corn silk (Zea maysL. Hair)-Binahong (Andredera cordifolia (Ten.) Steenis) leaves combination in a rat model of kidney failure. Int J Pharmacol 2013;9:12-23.
9. Wang L, Bang CY, Choung SY. Anti-obesity and hypolipidemic effects of Boussingaultia gracilis Miers var. pseudo baselloides bailey in obese rats. J Med Food 2011;14:17-25.
10. WHO, Quality control methods for medicinal plant materials, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland; 2011. p. 28-37.
11. National Research Council, Guide for the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals, National Academy Press: Washington, DC., USA; 1996.
12. Setiawan F, Adyana IK, Sukandar EY, Sukrasno. An animal model of obesity in populations with high carbohydrate diet. Obesity Rev 2014;15:S28, 53.
13. Astuti SM, Sakinah M, Andayani R, Risch A. Determination of saponin compound from Anredera cordifolia (Ten) Steenis Plant (Binahong) to potential treatment for several diseases. J Agric Sci 2011;3:224-32.
14. Malinow MR, McLaughlin P, Papworth L, Stafford C, Kohler GO, Livingston AL, et al. Effect of alfalfa saponins on intestinal cholesterol absorption in rats. Am J Clin Nutr 1977;30:2061-7.
15. Strable MS, Ntambi JM. Genetic control of de novo lipogenesis: role in diet-induced obesity. Crit Rev Biochem Mol Biol 2010;45:199-214.
16. Guerciolini R. Mode of action of orlistat. Int J Obesity Related Metab Disorders 1997;3: S12-23.
17. Dipiro JT, Talbert RL, Yee GC, Matzke GR, Wells BG, Posey LM. A Pathophysiologic Approach. 7th ed. The McGraw-Hill Companies. Inc. New York; 2008. p. 2431-53.