EVALUATION OF TERATOGENICITY EFFECTS OF ETHANOLIC EXTRACTS OF BINAHONG LEAVES (ANREDERA CORDIFOLIA (TEN) STEENIS) IN WISTAR RAT
Objective: The aim of this study was to evaluate teratogenicity effect of ethanolic extract of binahong (Anredera cordifolia (Ten.) Steenis) leaves in Wistar rats.
Methods: The teratogenicity test were done in 5 groups of rat i. e. control group, trimethoprim at a dose of 360 mg/kg bw, ethanolic extract of binahong at doses of 100, 400, and 1000 mg/kg bw. Test substance was given orally on day 6 to day 15 of rats pregnancy. At day 20 of gestation, laparoctomy was performed to retrieve the fetuses. Evaluation was done towards the fetus skeletal, organ and fetal weight.
Results: Teratogenicity test results showed that there was the ungrowth fetus observed in all groups with the highest incident in trimethoprim group (39.5%). Average of fetus body weight of trimethoprim, control, binahong extract at doses of 100, 400 and 1000 mg/kg bw group was 2.32 Â± 0.66 g, 3.58 Â± 0.24 g, 3.64 Â± 0.26 g, 3.67 Â± 0.25 g and 3.93 Â± 0.61 g, respectively. Skeletal evaluation showed that there was malformation of sacral vertebrae (65.2%), convulated costal stucture (82.6%), palate (33.3%), head cavity (88.9%), nasal cavity (5.6%), eye cavity (5.6%), ear (5.6%) and liver (43.1%) which were observed only in trimethoprim group.
Conclusion: Ethanolic extract of binahong at doses of 100, 400 and 1000 mg/kg bw in rat did not have the teratogenic effect.
2. Tshikalange TE, Meyer JJM, Hussein AA. Antimicrobial activity, toxicity, and the isolation of bioactive compounds from plants used to treat sexually transmitted diseases. J Ethnopharmacol 2005;96:515-9.
3. Lin WC, Wu SC, Lin YH, Hou WC. Prevention of ethanol-induced gastric lesions in rats by ethanolic extracts of boussingaultia gracilis. Clin Pharm J 1997;56:89-93.
4. Anh MJ, Kim JW. Identification and qualification of steroidal saponins in polygonatum species by HPLC/ESI/MS. Arch Pharm Res 2005;28:592-7.
5. Sukandar EY, Fidrianny I, Adiwibowo LF. Efficacy of ethanol extract of anredera cordifolia (ten) steenis leaves on improving kidney failure in rats. Int J Pharmacol 2011;7:850-5.
6. Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development. OECD guidelines for testing chemicals. Washington. DC: OECD Publication and Information Center; 1987. p. 492-7.
7. Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development. Prenatal development toxicity study guideline for the testing of chemical propasal for updating Guideline 414. Washington. DC: OECD Publication and Information Center; 2001.
8. WilsonJG, Fraser FC. Handbook of teratology. vol 1: general principles and etiology. New York: Plenum Press; 1978. p. 49-72.
9. WilsonJG, Fraser FC. Handbook of teratology. vol 4: research procedures and data analysis. New York: Plenum Press; 1978. p. 223.
10. Taylor P. Practical teratology. London: Academic Press; 1986. p. 77-108.