L-ASPARAGINASE INDUCED HYPOFIBRINOGENEMIA: A CASE REPORT
Anticancer therapy is always known to cause various side effects. L-asparaginase used in the treatment of adult T-cell lymphoblastic leukemia is a
novel class of drug, an enzyme produced from plants as well as microorganisms except human. It is known to cause various adverse reactions including life-threatening neurological complications and thrombotic disorders. Hence, we report a case of hypofibrinogenemia associated with L-asparaginase in a patient treated for T-cell adult lymphoblastic leukemia.
2. Kumar R, Sedolkar V, Triveni A, Kumar M, Shivannavar C, Gaddad S. Isolation, screening and characterization of L-asparaginase producing fungi from medicinal plants. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;8(1):281-3.
3. Batool T, Makky EA, Jalal M, Yusoff MM. A comprehensive review on L-asparaginase and its applications. Appl Biochem Biotechnol 2016;178(5):900-23.
4. Bolton-Maggs PH, Perry DJ, Chalmers EA, Parapia LA, Wilde JT, Williams MD, et al. The rare coagulation disorders - Review with guidelines for management from the United Kingdom Haemophilia Centre Doctorsâ€™ Organisation. Haemophilia 2004;10(5):593-628.
5. Roberts HR, Stinchcombe TE, Gabriel DA. The dysfibrinogenaemias. Br J Haematol 2001;114(2):249-57.
6. Besser MW, MacDonald SG. Acquired hypofibrinogenemia: Current perspectives. J Blood Med 2016;7:217-25.
7. Bettigole RE, Himelstein ES, Oettgen HF, Clifford GO. Hypofibrinogenemia due to L-asparaginase: Studies of fibrinogen survival using autologous 131-I-fibrinogen. Blood 1970;35(2):195-200.
8. Naranjo CA, Busto U, Sellers EM, Sandor P, Ruiz I, Roberts EA, et al. A method for estimating the probability of adverse drug reactions. Clin Pharmacol Ther 1981;30(2):239-45.
9. Hartwig SC, Siegel J, Schneider PJ. Preventability and severity assessment in reporting adverse drug reactions. Am J Hosp Pharm 1992;49(9):2229-32.
10. Schumock GT, Thornton JP. Focusing on the preventability of adverse drug reactions. Hosp Pharm 1992;27(6):538.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.