VALGANCICLOVIR INDUCED THROMBOCYTOPENIA: A CASE REPORT
Triple immunosuppression is very pivotal in maintaining the graft in case of renal transplantation. But because of severe immunosuppression, always there is chance of severe adverse effects. Hematological toxicity is usually very common but dreaded in case of renal transplant patients. Here, we report a case of valganciclovir-induced drop in platelet counts in a postrenal transplant patient.
2. Patel S, Patel BG, Gohel K. Incidences of-and risk factor for new onset diabetes after transplantation in live donor kidney transplantation: A prospective single centre study. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2016;8(2):230-3.
3. Yang Y, Yu B, Chen Y. Blood disorders typically associated with renal transplantation. Front Cell Dev Biol 2015;3:18.
4. Richardson AJ, Higgins RM, Ratcliffe PJ, Ting A, Murie J, Morris PJ. Triple therapy immunosuppression in cadaveric renal transplantation. Transpl Int 1990;3(1):26-31.
5. Cvetkovic RS, Wellington K. Valganciclovir: A review of its use in the management of CMV infection and disease in immunocompromised patients. Drugs 2005;65(6):859-78.
6. McGavin JK, Goa KL. Ganciclovir: An update of its use in the prevention of cytomegalovirus infection and disease in transplant recipients. Drugs 2001;61(8):1153-83.
7. Ar MC, Ozbalak M, Tuzuner N, Bekoz H, Ozer O, Ugurlu K, et al. Severe bone marrow failure due to valganciclovir overdose after renal transplantation from cadaveric donors: Four consecutive cases. Transplant Proc 2009;41(5):1648-53.
8. Gabardi S, Magee CC, Baroletti SA, Powelson JA, Cina JL, Chandraker AK. Efficacy and safety of low-dose valganciclovir for prevention of cytomegalovirus disease in renal transplant recipients: A single-center, retrospective analysis. Pharmacotherapy 2004;24(10):1323-30.
9. Naranjo CA, Busto U, Sellers EM, Sandor P, Ruiz I, Roberts EA, et al. A method for estimating the probability of adverse drug reactions. Clin Pharmacol Ther 1981;30(2):239-45.
10. Hartwig SC, Siegel J, Schneider PJ. Preventability and severity assessment in reporting adverse drug reactions. Am J Hosp Pharm 1992;49(9):2229-32.
11. Schumock GT, Thornton JP. Focusing on the preventability of adverse drug reactions. Hosp Pharm 1992;27(6):538.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.