STUDY OF PANEL OF DIAGNOSTIC CARDIAC MARKERS FOR ACUTE MYOCARDIAL INFARCTION
Objectives: The aim of this study is to estimate the level of creatine kinase-myocardial band (CK-MB), C-reactive protein (CRP), and lactate dehydrogenase (LDH) biomarker in myocardial infarction (MI) (troponin T-positive) and compare with normal healthy individuals (Troponin-T [TnT] negative).
Methods: A cross-sectional study on 172 patients involving 100 patients with nondiabetic MI and 72 apparently healthy controls with no history of diabetes and/or MI was done from December 2017 to May 2018. The diagnosis of MI was established with electrocardiogram findings and TnT estimation. Blood samples were gathered and processed for the estimation of CK-MB, LDH, and CRP.
Results: The mean age of the cases was 62.15±7.75 years and in the controls was 61.49±8.35 years (p=0.592). The mean value of CK-MB, LDH, and CRP in the TnT positive group was 111.94±29.59 IU/L, 564.43±110.99 IU/L, and 15.69±4.04 mg/L, whereas in the TnT negative group was 16.36±3.77 IU/L, 223.68±36.23 IU/L, and 6.08±2.02 mg/L, respectively (p<0.0001). CK-MB was deranged in 100% of TnT positive group, and in only 2.78% in TnT negative group (p<0.0001). LDH was deranged in 100% TnT positive group, and in 16.67% in TnT negative group (p<0.0001). CRP was deranged in 4% TnT positive group, and in 0% in TnT negative group (p=0.141).
Conclusion: This study indicated that CK-MB and LDH are sensitive cardiac markers for the diagnosis of MI.
2. Roger VL. Epidemiology of myocardial infarction. Med Clin North Am 2007;91:537-52.
3. Rosamond W, Flegal K, Furie K, Go A, Greenlund K, Haase N, et al. Heart disease and stroke statistics--2008 update: A report from the American heart association statistics committee and stroke statistics subcommittee. Circulation 2008;117:e25-146.
4. Akasha R, Amanullah M, Ali SP, Sirageldin E, Elrahim MA, Modawe G. Assessment of acute myocardial infarction by the use of special biochemical markers. Ulutas Med J 2015;1:68-73.
5. Al-Muhtaseb N, Al-Kaissi E, Muhi-Eldeen Z, Arafat T, Al-Muhtaseb S, Atiyah H. Oxidants and antioxidants as risk factors in young Arabian male patients with acute myocardial infarction. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2016;8:273-7.
6. Kasper DL, Fauci AS, Hauser SL, Longo DL, Jameson JL, Loscalzo J. Harrison’s Principles of Internal Medicine. New York: McGraw Hill Education; 2017. p. 1593-610.
7. Gerhardt W, Katus H, Ravkilde J, Hamm C, Jørgensen PJ, Peheim E, et al. S-troponin T in suspected ischemic myocardial injury compared with mass and catalytic concentrations of S-creatine kinase isoenzyme MB. Clin Chem 1991;37:1405-11.
8. Gupta G, Preeti S, Kumar P, Sharma R. Cardiovascular risk in patients with mild to severe subclinical hypothyroidism. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2016;9:1-3.
9. Shah H, Haridas N. Evaluation of clinical utility of serum enzymes and troponin-T in the early stages of acute myocardial infarction. Indian J Clin Biochem 2003;18:93-101.
10. Ashraf MU, Aslam M, Ajmal MR, Habib A. Relationship of serum homocysteine levels with cardiac troponin and ejection fraction in patients admitted with acute coronary syndrome. Int J Adv Pharm Med Bioallied Sci 2015;2:131-5.
11. Sorathia P, Pradhan R, Lekharu R. A study of serum homocysteine levels in acute myocardial infarction patients. Int J Curr Res 2014;6:8171-3.
12. Singh SP, Manda R. A prospective observational study on risk assessment of STEMI patients at a tertiary care hospital. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;7:148-53.
13. Aseri ZA, Habib SS, Alhomida AS, Khan HA. Relationship of high sensitivity C-reactive protein with cardiac biomarkers in patients presenting with acute coronary syndrome. J Coll Physicians Surg Pak 2014;24:387-91.
14. Shah PK. Study of cardiac markers in acute myocardial infarction patients research. Indian J Pharm Biol Res 2016;4:19-22.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.