FORMULATION OF AN ANTI-WRINKLE HYDROGEL FACE MASK CONTAINING ETHANOL EXTRACT OF NONI FRUIT (MORINDA CITRIFOLIA L) FOR USE AS A NUTRACOSMECEUTICAL PRODUCT
Objectives: Noni fruit (Morinda citrifolia L) containing ursolic acid and 3,3â€™ bisdemethylpinoresinol can be useful as an anti-wrinkle agent. The
hydrogel face mask is an alternative skin care product.
Methods: In this study, 0.1% ethanol extract of noni fruit was formulated with a concentration of 4% sodium alginate and 0.5% xanthan gum to form
the hydrogel face mask. Physical stability of the hydrogel face mask was evaluated using organoleptic observation, consistency rates, swelling index
measurements, and mechanical strength.
Results: The results showed that the hydrogel face mask has good water holding capacity, a tensile strength of 35.6524Â±0.8842 kgf/cm2, an elongation
rate of 272.00Â±4.47%, and remains stable in color and odor for 12 weeks.
Conclusions: This study revealed that the hydrogel face mask containing an ethanol extract of noni fruit is stable and has good physical characteristics;
therefore, the hydrogel face mask is satisfactory for use as a nutracosmeceutical product.
Aurangabadkar S, Kohli M, et al. Evaluation of topical anti-wrinkle
and firming (AWF) for women, anti-wrinkle and firming (AWF) for
men and deep wrinkles for wrinkles on face and neck. Asian J Pharm
Clin Res 2013;6(3):86-9.
2. Chanchal D, Swarnlata S. Novel approaches in herbal cosmetics.
J Cosmet Dermatol 2008;7:89-95.
3. Anitha T. Medicinal plants used in skin protection. Asian J Pharm Clin
4. West BJ, Sabin RA. Efficacy of a Morinda citrifolia based skin care
regimen. Curr Res J Biol Sci 2012;4(3):310-4.
5. Ali M, Kenganora M, Manjula SN. Health benefits of Morinda citrifolia
(Noni): A review. Pharmacogn J 2016;8(4):321-34.
6. Assi RA, Darwis Y, Abdulbaqi IM, Khan AA, Vuanghao L,
Laghari MH. Morinda citrifolia (Noni): A comprehensive review on
its industrial uses, pharmacological activities, and clinical trials. Arab J
7. Matsuda H, Masuda M, Murata K, Abe Y, Uwaya A. Study of the antiphotoaging
effect of noni (Morinda citrifolia). In: Duc DH, editor.
Melanoma - From Early Detection to Treatment. Rijeka, Croatia:
8. Quattrone A, Czajka A, Sibilla S. Thermosensitive hydrogel mask
significantly improves skin moisture and skin tone; Bilateral clinical
trial. Cosmetics 2017;4(17):1-18.
9. Lim KB, Hur W, Kim JY, Lee DH. Patent No. US 2010/0112058 A1.
United States; 2010.
10. Tsujihata S. Patent No. US 2010/0239621 A1. United States; 2010.