AUTHENTICATION OF TURMERIC USING PROTON-NUCLEAR MAGNETIC RESONANCE SPECTROSCOPY AND MULTIVARIATE ANALYSIS
Objective: The objective of this study was to apply 1H-NMR spectroscopy-based metabolite fingerprinting in combination with multivariate analysis for authentication of turmeric (Curcuma longa) from C. heyneana and C. manga.
Methods: Partial least square-discriminant analysis (PLS-DA) and orthogonal projections to latent structures-discriminant analysis (OPLS-DA) were used for differentiation of authentic and adulterated C. longa with C. manga and C. heyneana. The variables used were peaks with certain chemical shifts at optimized 1H-NMR spectra of authentic and adulterated C. longa.
Results: All of the authentic C. longa samples were clearly separated from the adulterated ones. The multivariate calibration of partial least square (PLS) was successfully applied to predict of adulterants in C. longa. The lower RMSEC (root mean square error of calibration) values, 0.94% for adulterated C. longa with C. heyneana and 1.37% for adulterated C. longa with C. manga, and the lower RMSEP (root mean square error of prediction) values, 0.83% for adulterated C. longa with C. heyneana and 1.34% for adulterated C. longa with C. manga indicated the good of accuracy and precision of the calibration models.
Conclusion: The combination of 1H-NMR spectroscopy and chemometrics of multivariate analysis PLS-DA, OPLS-DA, and PLS proves an adequate technique for authentication of turmeric.
2. Dallâ€™Acqua S, Stocchero M, Boschiero I, Schiavon M, Golob S, Uddin J, et al. New findings on the in vivo antioxidant activity of Curcuma longa extract by an integrated 1H-NMR and HPLC-MS metabolomic approach. Fitoterapia 2016;109:125â€“31.
3. Cousins M, Adelberg J, Chen F, Rieck J. Antioxidant capacity of fresh and dried rhizomes from four clones of turmeric Curcuma longa L. grown in vitro. Ind Crops Prod 2007;25:129â€“35.
4. Mohanty I, Singh Arya D, Dinda A, Joshi S, Talwar KK, Gupta SK. Protective effects of Curcuma longa on ischemia-reperfusion-induced myocardial injuries and their mechanisms. Life Sci 2004;75:1701â€“11.
5. Li S, Yuan W, Deng G, Wang P, Yang P, Aggarwal B. Chemical composition and product quality control of turmeric Curcuma longa L. Pharm Crops 2011;2:28â€“54.
6. Bar-Sela G, Epelbaum R, Schaffer M. Curcumin as an anti-cancer agent: a review of the gap between basic and clinical applications. Curr Med Chem 2010;17:190â€“7.
7. Shi T, Zhu M, Chen Y, Yan X, Chen Q, Wu X, et al. 1H NMR combined with chemometrics for the rapid detection of adulteration in camellia oils. Food Chem 2018;242:308â€“15.
8. Remya R, Syamkumar S, Sasikumar B. Isolation and amplification of DNA from turmeric powder. Br Food J 2004;106:673â€“8.
9. Singh RSP, Das U, Dimmock JR, Alcorn J. A general HPLCâ€“UV method for the quantitative determination of curcumin analogues containing the 1,5-diaryl-3-oxo-1,4-pentadienyl pharmacophore in rat biomatrices. J Chromatogr B 2010;878:2796â€“802.
10. Long Y, Zhang W, Wang F, Chen Z. Simultaneous determination of three curcuminoids in Curcuma longa L. by high-performance liquid chromatography coupled with electrochemical detection. J Pharm Anal 2014;4:325â€“30.
11. Phattanawasin P, Sotanaphun U, Sriphong L. Validated TLC image analysis method for simultaneous quantification of curcuminoids in Curcuma longa. Chromatographia 2009;69:397â€“400.
12. Ashraf K, Mujeeb M, Ahmad A, Amir M, Mallick MN, Sharma D. Validated HPTLC analysis method for quantification of variability in the content of curcumin in Curcuma longa L (turmeric) collected from the different geographical region of India. Asian Pac J Trop Biomed 2012;2:S584â€“8.
13. Cheng J, Weijun K, Yun L, Jiabo W, Haitao W, Qingmiao L, et al. Development and validation of UPLC method for quality control of Curcuma longa Linn.: fast simultaneous quantitation of three curcuminoids. J Pharm Biomed Anal 2010;53:43â€“9.
14. Anubala S, Sekar R, Nagaiah K. Development and validation of an analytical method for the separation and determination of major bioactive curcuminoids in Curcuma longa rhizomes and herbal products using non-aqueous capillary electrophoresis. Talanta 2014;123:10â€“7.
15. Sharma S, Saraogi GK, Kumar V. Development of spectrophotometric methods for simultaneous determination of artesunate and curcumin in a liposomal formulation. Int J App Pharm 2015;7:18-21.
16. Al-Taani B, Khanfar M, Alsuod OA. Enhancement of the release of curcumin by the freeze-drying technique using inulin and neusilin as carriers. Int J Appl Pharm 2018;10:42-8.
17. Wang L, Lee F, Wang X, He Y. Feasibility study of quantifying and discriminating soybean oil adulteration in camellia oils by attenuated total reflectance MIR and fiber optic diffuse reflectance NIR. Food Chem 2006;95:529â€“36.
18. Verpoorte R, Choi YH, Kim HK. NMR-based metabolomics at work in phytochemistry. Phytochem Rev 2007;6:3â€“14.
19. Kim HK, Saifullah N, Khan S, Wilson EG, Kricun SDP, Meissner A, et al. Metabolic classification of South American Ilex species by NMR-based metabolomics. Phytochemistry 2010;71:773â€“84.
20. Petrakis EA, Cagliani LR, Polissiou MG, Consonni R. Evaluation of saffron Crocus sativus L. adulteration with plant adulterants by 1H-NMR metabolite fingerprinting. Food Chem 2015; 173:890â€“6.
21. Gogna N, Hamid N, Dorai K. Metabolomic profiling of the phytomedicinal constituents of Carica papaya L. leaves and seeds by 1H-NMR spectroscopy and multivariate statistical analysis. J Pharm Biomed Anal 2015;115:74â€“85.
22. Fadzillah NA, Che Man YB, Rohman A, Rosman AS, Ismail A, Mustafa S, khatib A. Detection of butter adulteration with lard by employing 1H-NMR spectroscopy and multivariate data analysis. J Oleo Sci 2015;64:697â€“703.
23. Awin T, Mediani A, Maulidiani, Shaari K, Faudzi SMM, Sukari MAH, et al. Phytochemical profiles and biological activities of Curcuma species subjected to different drying methods and solvent systems: NMR-based metabolomics approach. Ind Crops Prod 2016;94:342â€“52.
24. Bos R, Windono T, Woerdenbag HJ, Boersma YL, Koulman A, Kayser O. HPLC-photodiode array detection analysis of curcuminoids in Curcuma species indigenous to Indonesia. Phytochem Anal 2007;18:118â€“22.
25. Worley B, Halouska S, Powers R. Utilities for quantifying separation in PCA/PLS-DA scores plots. Anal Biochem 2013;433:102â€“4.
26. Worley B, Powers R. Multivariate analysis in metabolomics. Curr Metabolomics 2013;1:92â€“107.
27. Rohman A, Che Man YB. The optimization of FTIR spectroscopy combined with partial least square for analysis of animal fats in quartenary mixtures. J Spectrosc 2011;25:169â€“76.