OPTIMIZATION OF SELF-NANOEMULSIFYING DRUG DELIVERY SYSTEMS OF LEMONGRASS (CYMBOPOGON CITRATUS) ESSENTIAL OIL
Objective: Focus of this study was to optimize and to characterize the self-Nano emulsifying drug delivery system using lemongrass (Cymbopogon citratus) essential oil.
Methods: The optimum formulas were analyzed using a D-Optimal mixture experimental design and performed using a Design ExpertÂ® Ver. 7.1.5. Formulation variables which include in the design were: oil component X1 (a mixture of Cymbopogon citratus essential oil and virgin coconut oil/VCO), surfactant X2 (Tween 80), and co-surfactant (PEG 400), while emulsification time in a sec (Y1) and transmittance in percent (Y2) as responses.
Results: The optimum formula for SNEDDS in the current study were: Cymbopogon citratus essential oil (7.147%), VCO (7.147%), Tween 80 (71.417%), and PEG 400 (14.290%). From the optimizing formula can be shown that the mean of droplet size, polydispersity-index, zeta potential, and viscosity were: 13.17Â±0.06 nm, 0.17Â±0.05,-20.90Â±1.47 mV, 200Â±0mPa. s (n=3), respectively. Furthermore, the optimized formula has passed the thermodynamic stability test; meanwhile, transmission electron microscopy displayed spherical shape.
Conclusion: The optimized SNEDDS formula was improving solubility of poorly soluble Cymbopogon citratus essential oil.
2. Patterson JA, Burkholder KM. Application of probiotics and probiotics in poultry production. Poult Sci 2003;82:627-31.
3. Amit Romach E, Sklan D, Uni Z. Microflora ecology of the chicken intestine using 168 ribosomal DNA primers. Poult Sci 2004;83:1093-8.
4. Krocko M, Canigova M, Bezekova J, Lavova M, Hascik, Duckova J. Effect of nutrition with propolis and bee pollen supplements on bacteria colonization pattern in the gastrointestinal tract of broiler chickens. Sci Pap Anim Sci Biotechnol 2012;45:63-7.
5. La Ragione RM, Narbad, Gasson MJ, Woodward MJ. In vivo characterization of Lactobacillus johnsonii F19785 for use as a defined competitive exclusion agent against bacterial pathogens in poultry. Lett Appl Microbiol 2004;38:197-205.
6. Hajati H, Rezaei M. The application of prebiotics in poultry production. Int J Poult Sci 2010;9:298-304.
7. Si W, Gong J, Tsao R, Zhou T, Yu H, Poppe C, et al. Antimicrobial activity of essential oils and structurally related synthetic food additives towards selected pathogenic and beneficial gut bacteria. J Appl Microbiol 2006;100;296-305.
8. Grashorn MA. Use of phytobiotics in broiler nutritionâ€“an alternative to infeed antibiotics? J Anim Feed Sci 2010;19:338-47.
9. Oussalah M, Caillet S, Saucier L, Lacroix M. Inhibitory effects of selected plant essential oils on the growth of four pathogenic bacteria: E coli O157:H7, Salmonella typhimurium, Staphylococcus aureus, and Listeria monocytogenes. Food Control 2007;18:414-20.
10. Singh RK, Ebibeni N. Antimicrobial activity of lemongrass (Cymbopogon citratus) oil against microbes of environmental, clinical and food origin. Int Res J Pharm Pharmacol 2011;1:228-36.
11. Asaolu MF, Oyeyemi OA, Olanloku JO. Chemical compositions, phytochemical constituents and in vitro biological activity of various extracts of Cymbopogon citratus. Pak J Nutr 2009;8:1920-2.
12. Fagbemi JF, Ugoji E, Adenipekun T, Adelowotan O. Evaluation of the antimicrobial properties of unripe banana (Musa sapientum L.), lemongrass (Cymbopogon citratus S.) and turmeric (Curcuma longa L.) on pathogens. Afr J Biotechnol 2009;8:1176-82.
13. Naik MI, Fomda BA, Jaykumar E, Bhat JA. Antibacterial activity of lemongrass (Cymbopogon citratus) oil against some selected pathogenic bacterias. Asian Pac J Trop Med 2010;3:535-8.
14. Juniatik M, Hidayati K, Wulandari FP, Pangestuti N, Munawaroh N, Martien R, et al. Formulation of nanoemulsion mouthwash combination of lemongrass oil (Cymbopogon citratus) and kaffir lime oil (Citrus hystrix) against Candida albicans ATCC 10231. Trad Med J 2017;22:7-15.
15. Bakkali F, Averbeck S, Averbeck D, Idaomar M. Biological effects of essential oils-a review. Food Chem Toxicol 2008;46:446-75.
16. Sanchez Gonzalez L, Vargaz M, Gonzalez Matinez C, Chiralt A, Chafer M. Use of essential oils bioactive edible coatings: a review. Food Eng Rev 2011;3:1-16.
17. Khumpirapang N, Pikulkaew S, MÅ«llertz A, Rades T, Okonogi S. Self-micro emulsifying drug delivery system and nanoemulsion for enhancing aqueous miscibility of Alpinia galanga oil. PLoS One 2017;12:1-18.
18. Saritha D, Bose PSC, Nagaraju R. Formulation and evaluation of self-emulsifying drug delivery system (SEEDS) of ibuprofen. Int J Pharm Sci Res 2014;5:3511-9.
19. Bansal M, Jamil S. Micellar microparticles: a novel approach to tropical drug delivery system. Int J Appl Pharm 2018;10:1-5.
20. Baskar V, Salim MI, Subramani A, Sruthi, Jawahar A, Shabeer TK. Historic review on the modern herbal nanogel formulation and delivery methods. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2018;10:1-10.
21. Basalious EB, Shawky N, Badr Eldin SM. SNEDDS containing bioenhancers for improvement of dissolution and oral absorption of lacidipine. I: development and optimization. Int J Pharm 2010;391:203-11.
22. Lalwani JT, Thakkar VT, Patel HV. Enhancement of solubility and oral bioavailability of ezetimibe by a novel solid self nano emulsifying drug delivery system (SNEDDS). Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2013;5:513-22.
23. Khan AW, Kotta S, Ansari SH, Sharma RK, Ali J. Self-nanoemulsifying drug delivery system (SNEDDS) of the poorly water-soluble grapefruit flavonoid naringenin: design, characterization, in vitro and in vivo evaluation. Drug Delivery 2015;22:552-61.
24. Winarti L, Suwaldi, Martien R, Hakim L. Formulation of self-nanoemulsifying drug delivery system of bovine serum albumin using HLB (hidrophilic-lypophilic balance) approach. Indonesian J Pharm 2016;27:117-27.
25. Parmar N, Singla N, Amin S, Kohli K. Study of cosurfactant effect on nanoemulsifying area and development of lercadipine loaded (SNEDDS) self nanoemulsifying drug delivery system. Colloids Surf B 2011;86:327-38.
26. Ujilestari T, Dono ND, Ariyadi B, Martien R, Zuprizal. Formulation and characterization of self-nano emulsifying drug delivery systems of lemongrass (Cymbopogon citratus) essential oil. Malays J Fund Appl Sci 2018;14:360-3.
27. Wani A, Sanghani C, Wani S. Formulation, characterization, and in vitro evaluation of novel microemulsion-based spray for topical delivery of isotretinoin. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2018;11:226-32.
28. Shinkar DM, Aher PS, Kothawade PD, Maru AD. Formulation and in vitro evaluation of fast dissolving tablet of verapamil hydrochloride. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2018;10:93-9.
29. Dash RN, Mohammed H, Humaira T, Reddy AV. Solid supersaturatable self-nanoemulsifying drug delivery systems for improved dissolution, absorption and pharmacodynamic effects of glipizide. J Drug Delivery Sci Technol 2015;28:28-36.
30. Ghosh PK, Majithiya RJ, Umrethia ML, Murthy SR. Design and development of microemulsion drug delivery system of aclyclovir for improvement of oral bioavailability. AAPS PharmSciTech 2006;7:172-7.
31. Kaur G, Chandel P, Harikumar SL. Formulation of self nanoemulsifying drug delivery system (SNEDDS) of celecoxib for improvement of oral bioavailability. Pharmacophore 2013;4:120-33.
32. Patel HK, Patel PV, Misan CK, Mehta DS, Patel MB. Development and characterization of liquid and solid self-microemulsifying drug delivery system of tacrolimus. Asian J Pharm 2012;6:204-11.
33. Sahoo SK, Suresh P, Acharya U. Design and development of self-microemulsifying drug devilery systems (SMEDDS) of telmisartan for enhancement of in vitro dissolution and oral bioavailability in rabbit. Int J Appl Pharm 2018;10:117-26.
34. Holm R, Jensen IHM. Optimization of self-microemulsifying drug delivery systems (SMEDDS) using a D-optimal design and the desirability function. Drug Dev Ind Pharm 2006;32:1025-32.
35. Gambhire RS, Gujar KN, Gambhire VM. Design and evaluation of self-nanoemulsifying drug delivery systems for nebivolol hydrochloride. Asian J Pharm 2014;8:200-9.
36. Madan JR, Sudarshan B, Kadam VS, Kamal D. Formulation and development of self-microemulsifying drug delivery system of pioglitazone hydrochloride. Asian J Pharm 2014;8:27-35.
37. Beg S, Swain S, Singh HP, Patra CN, Rao MEB. Development, optimization, and characterization of solid self-nanoemulsifying drug delivery systems of valsartan using porous carriers. AAPS PharmSciTech 2012;13:1416-27.
38. Jeevana JB, Sreelakhmi K. Design, and evaluation of self-nanoemulsifying drug delivery system of flutamide. J Young Pharm 2011;3:4-8.
39. Subramanian P, Siddalingam R. Self-nanoemulsifying drug delivery systems of poorly soluble drug dutasteride: formulation and in vitro characterization. J Appl Pharm Sci 2017;7:11-2.
40. Chavda H, Patel J, Chavada G, Dave S, Patel A, Patel C. Self-nanoemulifying powder of isotretinoin: Preparation and characterization. J Powder Technol 2013;1-9. http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2013/108569
41. Bandivadekar M, Pancholi S, Kaul-ghanekar R, Choudhari A, Koppikar S. Single non-ionic surfactant based self-nanoemulsifying drug delivery systems: formulation, characterization, cytotoxicity and permeability enhancement study. Drug Dev Ind Pharm 2013;39:696-703.
42. Rahman MA, Iqbal Z, Hussain A. Formulation optimization and in vitro characterization of sertraline loaded self-nanoemulsifying drug delivery system (SNEDDS) for oral administration. J Pharm Invest 2012;42:191-202.
43. Kassem AA, Mohsen AM, Ahmed RS, Essam TM. Self-nanoemulsifying drug delivery system (SNEDDS) with enhanced solubilization of nystatin for treatment of oral candidiasis: design, optimization, in vitro and in vivo evaluation. J Mol Liq 2016;218:219-32.
44. Bahloul B, Lassoued MA, Seguin J, Lai-Kuen R, Dhotel H, Sfar S, Mignet N. Self-nanoemulsifying drug delivery system developed by the HLB-RSM approach: characterization by transmission electron microscopy and pharmacokinetic study. Int J Pharm 2015;487:56-63.