TOTAL PHENOLIC AND FLAVONOID CONTENT, FREE RADICAL SCAVENGING ACTIVITY AND TYROSINASE INHIBITION OF CORN COB (ZEA MAYS) EXTRACT
Objective: Corn cob is a part of plant Zea mays that have a phenolic and flavonoid compounds. This research aims to evaluate total phenolic and flavonoid content, free radical scavenging activity and tyrosinase inhibiton of corn cob (Zea mays) extract.
Methods: Corn cob were determined in Poltekkes Kemenkes Surakarta. Meanwhile, corn cob were extracted using maceration method applying 70% ethanol solvent. This extract were analyzed through the total fenolic and flavonoids content tests apply spectrofotometric UV Vis, antioxidant activity using radical scavenging test 2,2-difenill-1-pikrilhidrazil (DPPH) and tyrosinase inhibition test applying in vitro tyrosinase enzyme inhibition.
Results: Total phenolic content of the corn cob extract were 1.76 %b/b EAG, while the total of flavonoids content were 0.42%b/b EK. The antioxidant activity using DPPH method test of corn cob extract were values IC50 38.57 µg/ml. Tyrosinase inhibition of corn cob extract were values IC50 919.78µg/ml.
Conclusion: Corn cob extract had antioxidant activity and tyrosinase inhibition.
2. Direktorat Jenderal Tanaman Pangan. Laporan Kinerja Direktorat Jenderal Tanaman Pangan Tahun 2014. Jakarta: Kementerian Pertanian; 2015.
3. Dong J, Cai L, Zhu X, Huang X, Yin T, Fang H. Antioxidant activities and phenolic compounds of cornhusk, corncob and stigma maydis. J Braz Chem Soc 2014;25:1956–64.
4. Fidrianny I, Wulandari E, Hartati R. In vitro antioxidant activity of different organs extracts of corn grown in Cimahi-West Java-Indonesia. Int J Pharmacogn Phytochem Res 2016;8:1025–32.
5. Melo Silveira RF, Viana RLS, Sabry DA, da Silva RA, Machado D, Nascimento AKL, et al. Antiproliferative xylan from corn cobs induces apoptosis in tumor cells. Carbohydrate Polymers 2019;210:245–53.
6. Asadollahi M, Bodi Z, Peles F, Sandor E. Antifungal activity of anthocyanins from purple field corn cob against Botrytis cinerea and Fusarium species. J Agric Sci 2012;50:76-83.
7. Li CY, Kim HW, Li H, Lee DC, Rhee HI. Antioxidative effect of purple corn extracts during storage of mayonnaise. Food Chem 2014;152:592–6.
8. Halliwell B. Reactive species and antioxidants: redox biology is. Plant Phys 2006;141:312–22.
9. Herlina N, Riyanto S, Martono S, Rohman A. Antioxidant activities, phenolic and flavonoid contents of methanolic extract of Stelechocarpus burahol fruit and its fractions. Dhaka Univ J Pharm Sci 2018;17:153–9.
10. Alnajar ZAA, Abdulla MA, Ali HM, Alshawsh MA, Hadi AHA. Acute toxicity evaluation, antibacterial, antioxidant and immunomodulatory effects of Melastoma malabathricum. Molecules 2012;17:3547–59.
11. Lumempouw LI, Suryanto E, Paendong JJE. Aktivitas anti UV-B ekstrak fenolik dari tongkol jagung (Zea mays L). J MIPA UNSRAT 2012;1:1–4.
12. Jegal J, Park SA, Chung KW, Chung HY, Lee J, Jeong EJ, et al. Tyrosinase inhibitory flavonoid from Juniperus communis fruits. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 2016;80:2311–7.
13. Jin Y, Kim JH, Hong H, Kwon J, Lee EJ, Jang M, et al. Ginsenosides Rg5 and Rk1, the skin-whitening agents in black ginseng. J Funct Foods 2018;45:67–74.
14. Bin B, Cho E, Choi E, Kim S, Choi S, Lee T. Skin whitening composition and method for screening for materials having skin whitening effect. Seoul Patent: US2018//0177699A1; 2018.
15. Suryanto E, Irma ML. Isolasi dan aktivitas antioksidan fraksi dari ekstrak tongkol jagung. Agritech 2017;37:139-43.
16. Kemenkes. Farmakope Herbal Indonesia, 2nd edition. Jakarta: Kementerian Kesehatan RI; 2017.
17. Kikuzaki H, Hisamoto M, Hirose K, Akiyama K, Taniguchi H. Antioxidant properties of ferulic acid and its related compounds. J Agric Food Chem 2002;50:2161–8.
18. Arung ET, Kusuma IW, Iskandar YM, Yasutake S, Shimizu K, Kondo R. Screening of Indonesian plants for tyrosinase inhibitory activity. Japan J Wood Sci 2005;51:520–5.
19. Batubara I, Darusman LK, Mitsunaga T, Rahminiwati M, Djauhari E. Potency of Indonesian medicinal plants as tyrosinase inhibitor and antioxidant agent. J Bio Sci 2010;10:138–44.
20. Petrillo A Di, Gonzalez Paramas AM, Era B, Medda R, Pintus F, Santos Buelga C, et al. Tyrosinase inhibition and antioxidant properties of Asphodelus microcarpus extracts. BMC Complement Altern Med 2016;2016:1–9.
21. Rohman A, Riyanto S, Mistriyani, Shuhaira, Nugroho AE. Antiradical activities of rambutan peel: study from two cultivars. Res J Phytochem 2017;411:2-7.
22. Riswahyuli Y, Rohman A, Setyabudi FMCS, Raharjo S. Evaluation of phenolic content and free radical scavenging activity of Indonesia wild honey collected from seven different regions. J Food Res 2019;8:94-103.
23. Sehwag S, Das M. Antioxidant activity: an overview. Research and reviews: J Food Sci Tech 2013;2:1-10.
24. Masyita A, Yulianty R, Rifai Y. Synthesis and antioxidant evaluation of 3-bromo-flavone. Int J Appl Pharm 2019;11:160–2.
25. Molyneux P. The use of the stable free radical diphenylpicryl-hydrazyl (DPPH) for estimating antioxidant activity. Songklanakarin J Sci Technol 2004;2003:211–9.
26. Gupta D. Methods for determination of antioxidant capacity: a review. Intern J Pharm Sci Res 2015;6:546–66.
27. Hashemi SM, Emami S. Kojic acid-derived tyrosinase inhibitors: synthesis and bioactivity. Pharm Biomed Res 2015;1:1–17.
28. Wijaya C, Elya B, Yanuar A. Study of tyrosinase inhibitory activity and phytochemical screening of Cassia fistula L. leaves. Int J Appl Pharm 2018;10(Special Issue 1):384–7.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.