NOVEL TRANSETHOSOME CONTAINING GREEN TEA (CAMELLIA SINENSIS L. KUNTZE) LEAF EXTRACT FOR ENHANCED SKIN DELIVERY OF EPIGALLOCATECHIN GALLATE: FORMULATION AND IN VITRO PENETRATION TEST
Objective: This study aimed to formulate a transethosome cream (TEC) to increase skin penetration of epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG) in green tea
leaf extract and evaluate their physicochemical characteristics and skin penetration capacity.
Methods: Transethosomes were prepared through thin-layer hydration method in three formulations (F1âˆ’F3) with different Span 80 and ethanol concentrations.
Transethosome morphology was characterized using transmission electron microscopy, particle size, polydispersity (PDI), and zeta potential using a particle
size analyzer and entrapment efficiency (EE). Penetration was tested using an in vitro Franz diffusion cell with female Sprague-Dawley rat skin as the
Results: Transethosome F2 containing green tea extract equivalent to 3% EGCG, 4% Lipoid P30, 0.75% Span 80, and 30% ethanol had the best
characteristic including spherical shape, smallest particle size (35.35 nm), 0.319 PDI, zeta potential of âˆ’29.97Â±3.05 mV, and highest EE of
45.26%Â±8.15%. TEC permitted greater flux than non-TEC (first phase: 60.56Â±4.52 vs. 25.69Â±0.83 Î¼gâ€¢cmâˆ’2â€¢hâˆ’1 and second phase: 23.13Â±1.38 vs.
Conclusion: Transethosome can increase the skin penetration of green tea leaf extract.
and pharmacognostic evaluation of purified catechins in green tea
(Camellia sinensis) cultivars of India. Biotechnology 2015;5:285-94.
2. Lister E, Wilson P. Measurement of Total Phenolics and Abts Assay for
Antioxidant Activity Crop Lincoln. New Zealand: Research Institute;
3. Horzic D, Komes D, Belscak A, Ganic KK, Ivekovic D, Karlovic D.
The composition of polyphenols and methylxanthine in teas and herbal
infusions. Food Chem 2009;115:441-8.
4. Fujimura Y, Tachibana H, Maeda-Yamamoto M, Miyase T, Sano M,
Yamada K. Antiallergic tea catechin, (-)-epigallocatechin-3-O-(3-
O-methyl)-gallate, suppresses Fc-epsilon RI expression in human
basophilic KU812 cells. J Agric Food Chem 2002;50:5729-34.
5. Patel AR, Velikov KP. Non-covalent interactions of green tea
polyphenols: Source of novel colloidal structures. Nova Biomed
6. Srivastava S, Maurya A, Gupta P. A review article on transdermal drug
delivery system. World J Pharm Pharm Sci 2016;5:1702-25.
7. Song CK, Balakrishnan P, Shim CK, Chung SJ, Chong S, Kim DD, et al.
A novel vesicular carrier, transethosome, for enhanced skin delivery of
voriconazole: Characterization and in vitro/in vivo evaluation. Colloids
Surf B Biointerfaces 2012;92:299-304.
8. Ascenso A, Raposo S, Batista C, Cardoso P, Mendes T, PraÃ§a FG,
et al. Development, characterization, and skin delivery studies of
related ultradeformable vesicles: Transfersomes, ethosomes, and
transethosomes. Int J Nanomedicine 2015;10:5837-51.
9. Allen LV, Popovich NG, Ansel HC. Anselâ€™s Pharmaceutical Dosage
Forms and Drug Delivery Systems. 9th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott
Williams and Wilkins; 2011.
10. Fangueiro JF, Parra A, Silva AM, Egea MA, Souto EB, Garcia ML, et al.
Validation of a high performance liquid chromatography method for the
stabilization of epigallocatechin gallate. Int J Pharm 2014;475:181-90.
11. Mishra K, Ojha H, Chaudhury NK. Estimation of antiradical properties
of antioxidants using DPPH assay: A critical review and results. Food
12. Izzreen MN, Fadzelly AB. Phytochemicals and antioxidant properties
of different parts of Camellia sinensis leaves from Sabah tea plantation
in Sabah, Malaysia. Int Food Res J 2013;20:307-12
13. Zirak MB, Pezeshki A. Effect of surfactant concentration on the particle
size, stability and potential zeta of beta carotene nano lipid carrier. Int J
Curr Microbiol App Sci 2015;4:924-32.
14. Geetha S, Irulandi K, Mehalingam P. Evaluation of antioxidant and free
radical scavenging activities of different solvent extracts of leaves of
Piper umbellatum. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2017;10:274-6.
15. Farhan H. Studying the cytotoxic and antioxidant activities of crude
extracts from Anacyclus ngellifolius boss grown in North Lebanon.
Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2018;11:376-80.
16. Srinivasan P, Jayagopal M, Ramachandran J. Evaluation of in-vitro
antioxidant and fibrinolytic activity of flavonoid-rich fraction from the
whole plant of Wedelia chinensis. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2016;9:234â€‘9.
17. Touitou E, Dyan N, Bergelson L, Godin B, Eliaz M. Ethosomesâ€“novel
vesicular carriers for enhanced delivery: Characterization and skin
penetration properties. J Control Release 2000;65:403-418.