TRANSFERSOME GEL FORMULATION OF AN ETHANOL EXTRACT OF APPLES (MALUS DOMESTICA MILL) CONTAINING ANTIOXIDANTS AND IN VITRO PENETRATION TESTING USING FRANZ DIFFUSION CELLS
Objective: This study aims to formulate and characterize a transfersome apple peel extract, formulate it into a gel, and compare it with a control gel
made without transfersome.
Methods: Both gels were evaluated, stability tested, and penetration tested using Franz diffusion cells on the skin of female Sprague-Dawley rats. The
transfersome preparations were formulated with different concentrations of the active substance, quercetin: 0.5% (F1); 0.7% (F2), and 1.0% (F3).
Results: Based on the characterization results, F1 was selected as the optimum gel formulation because it had spherical morphology, a Dmean volume of
106.44Â±2.70 nm, a polydispersity index of 0.078Â±0.01, a zeta potential of âˆ’49.96Â±2.05 mV, and a drug efficiency entrapment percentage of 78.78Â±0.46%.
The cumulative amount of quercetin that was penetrated with the transfersome gel was 1514.41Â±26.31 Î¼g/cm2, whereas the penetration with the
control gel extract was 1133.62Â±18.96 Î¼g/cm2. The cumulative percentages of the penetrated gel transfersome and gel extract were 78.40Â±1.89%
and 49.89Â±0.88%, respectively. The fluxes of transfersome gel and control gel extract were 52.33Â±0.11 Î¼g/cmÂ²/hrs and 40.89Â±0.68 Î¼g/cmÂ²/hrs,
Conclusions: Based on these results, it can be concluded that the gel with transfersome exhibited better penetration than the gel extract alone.
premature aging. Am J Kidney Dis 2013;62(2):339-51.
2. Sen S, Chakraborty R, Sridhar C, Reddy YS, De B. Free radicals,
antioxidants, diseases and phytomedicines: Current status and future
prospect. Int J Pharm Sci Rev Res 2010;3(1):91-100.
3. Moore RS, Taylor DH, Reddy MM, Sturman LS, Sarma AD,
Mallick AR, et al. Free radical and their role in different clinical
conditions; An overview. Int J Pharm Sci Res 2010;1(3):185-92.
4. Benson HA. Transdermal drug delivery: Penetration enhancement
techniques. Curr Drug Deliv 2005;2(1):23-3.
5. Widyanati P, Jufri M, Elya B. Formulation and penetration dtudy of
liposome gel xanthone of extract mangosteen Pericarp (Garcinia
mangostana L.). Int J Pharm Sci 2014;27(2):1-6.
6. Taufikkurohmah T. Sintesis p-metoksisinamil dari etil p-metoksisinamat
hasil isolasi Rimpang kencur (Kaempferia galanga L.) sebagai
Kandidat Tabir Surya. Indones J Chem 2005;5(3):193-7.
7. Deore S, Baviskar B, Khadabadi S, Nikole K. Isolation and quantitative
estimation of quercetin in Lagenaria siceraria fruit. J Chromatogr Sep
8. Boyer J, Liu RH. Apple phytochemicals and their health benefits. Nutr
9. Costa S, Detoni C, Branco C, Botura M, Branco A. In vitro
photoprotective effects of Marcetia taxifolia ethanolic extract and
its potential for sunscreen formulations. Rev Bras Farmacogn
10. Saewan N, Jimtaisong A. Photoprotection of natural flavonoids. J Appl
Pharm Sci 2013;3(9):129-41.
11. Kelly GS. Quercetin. Monograph. Altern Med Rev 2011;16(2):172-94.
12. Lipowsky R, Sackmann E. Structure and Dynamics of Membranes.
1st ed. North Holland: Elsevier; 1995.
13. Benson HA. Transfersomes for transdermal drug delivery. Expert Opin
Drug Deliv 2006;3(6):727-37.
14. Indonesian Ministry of Health. Farmakope Indonesia Edisi III. Jakarta:
Korpri Sub Unit Direktorat Jenderal Pengawasan Obat dan Makanan; 1979.
15. Windono TJ, Soeratri W. Aktivitas tabir matahari etil p-metoksisinamat
yang diisolasi dari rimpang kencur (Kaempferia galanga L.). News of
Indones Drug 1997;38:430-1.