APPLICATION OF 1H-NMR SPECTA AND MULTIVARIATE ANALYSIS FOR THE AUTHENTICATION OF CURCUMA XANTHORRHIZA FROM ZINGIBER CASSUMUNAR
Objective: This study was aimed to apply metabolite fingerprinting for the authentication of Curcuma xanthorrhiza adulterated with Zingiber cassumunar using 1H-NMR spectroscopy and multivariate analysis (chemometrics) methods, namely principal component analysis (PCA) and partial least square–discriminant analysis (PLS-DA).
Methods: The pure dried powder samples of C. xanthorrhiza from different regions, Z. cassumunar, and its binary mixtures of C. xanthorrhiza with various concentrations of Z. cassumunar as adulterants were prepared for 1H-NMR measurements. The binary mixtures were prepared by mixing C. xanthorrhiza with various concentrations (10%, 25%, 40%, 50%, and 75%) of Z. cassumunar. 1H-NMR spectra were subjected to multivariate analysis for classification using PCA and PLS-DA.
Results: A diverse group of metabolites could be detected by 1H-NMR spectroscopy. PCA using the chemical shift in 1H-NMR spectra of the plant extracts as variables clearly discriminated pure C. xanthorrhiza extracts from different origins and C. xanthorrhiza extract adulterated with Z. cassumunar. PLS-DA employed to enhance the separation obtained from the PCA model resulted in well separation and good classification of pure C. xanthorrhiza from the adulterated ones.
Conclusion: The developed method could be a useful and powerfull tools to assess adulteration practice and to evaluate the authentication of C. xanthorrhiza extracts.
2. Kim HK, Choi YH, Verpoorte R. NMR-based metabolomic analysis of plants. Nat Protoc 2010;5:536–49.
3. Schripsema J. Application of NMR in plant metabolomics: techniques, problems and prospects. Phytochem Anal 2010;21:14–21.
4. Rukayadi Y. In vitro anticandidal activity of xanthorrhizol isolated from Curcuma xanthorrhiza roxb. J Antimicrob Chemother 2006;57:1231–4.
5. Jantan I, Saputri FC, Qaisar MN, Buang F. Correlation between the chemical composition of Curcuma domestica and Curcuma xanthorrhiza and their antioxidant effect on human low-density lipoprotein oxidation. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med 2012:1–10. Doi:https://doi.org/10.1155/2012/438356
6. Ramdani ED, Marlupi UD, Sinambela J, Tjandrawinata RR. A new method of xanthorrhizol isolation from the rhizome extract of Curcuma xanthorrhiza. Sch Acad J Biosci 2016;4:732–7.
7. Prabaningdyah NK, Riyanto S, Rohman A, Siregar C. Application of HPLC and response surface methodology for simultaneous determination of curcumin and desmethoxycurcumin in curcuma syrup formulation. J Appl Pharm Sci 2017;7:58-64.
8. Prabaningdyah NK, Riyanto S, Rohman A. Application of FTIR spectroscopy and multivariate calibration for analysis of curcuminoid in syrup formulation. J Appl Pharm Sci 2018;8:172-9.
9. Mangunwardoyo W. Antimicrobial and identification of active compound Curcuma xanthorrhiza Roxb. Int J Basic Appl Sci 2012;12:69–78.
10. Mukherjee PK. Quality control of herbal drugs: an approach to the evaluation of botanicals. Business Horizons; 2002.
11. Rafi M, Wulansari L, Heryanto R, Darusman LK, Lim LW, Takeuchi T. Curcuminoid’s content and fingerprint analysis for authentication and discrimination of Curcuma xanthorrhiza from Curcuma longa by a high-performance liquid chromatography-diode array detector. Food Anal Methods 2015;8:2185–93.
12. Rafi M, Rohaeti E, Miftahudin A, Darusman LK. Differentiation of Curcuma longa, curcuma xanthorrhiza and zingiber cassumunar by thin layer chromatography fingerprint analysis. Indones J Chem 2011;11:71–4.
13. Windarsih A, Rohman A, Swasono RT. Application of H-NMR metabolite fingerprinting and chemometrics for the authentication of curcuma longa adulterated with curcuma manga. J Appl Pharm Sci 2018;10:174-80.
14. Awin T, Mediani A, Shaari K, Faudzi SMM, Sukari MAH, Lajis NH, et al. Phytochemical profiles and biological activities of Curcuma species subjected to different drying methods and solvent systems: NMR-based metabolomics approach. Ind Crops Prod 2016;94:342–52.
15. Yuliani F, Riyanto S, Rohman A. Application of FTIR spectra combined with chemometrics for analysis of candlenut oil adulteration. Int J Appl Pharm 2018;10:54-9.
16. Choi HK, Choi YH, Verberne M, Lefeber AWM, Erkelens C, Verpoorte R. Metabolic fingerprinting of wild type and transgenic tobacco plants by 1H NMR and multivariate analysis technique. Phytochem 2004;65:857–64.
17. Rohman A, Lumakso FA, Riyanto S. Use of partial least square-discriminant analysis combined with mid-infrared spectroscopy for avocado oil authentication. Res J Med Plant 2016;10:175–80.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.