EFFECT OF MANGOSTEEN PEEL EXTRACT ON BONE FRACTURE HEALING
Objective: Healing of bone fractures is mediated through antioxidants; however, increased free radical levels at the site of fracture inhibit bone healing.
Mangosteen peel has antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, antitumor, antiviral, antibacterial, antifungal, antihistaminic, antimalarial, and other beneficial
properties as it contains many active substances such as xanthones, anthocyanins, phenols, and tannins. In this study, we aimed to determine the
effects of mangosteen peel extract on bone fracture healing.
Methods: We used six mice with left and right femoral fractures (12 femurs). Mangosteen peel extract was applied to the left femurs of the six mice at
two dosages (20 and 40 mg/kg; three femurs each) on days 2, 4, and 6 after fracture; saline was injected into the right femurs of all six mice. On day 7,
all the animals were sacrificed, and femur defect diameter was evaluated using dental digital radiography.
Results: The femoral defect diameter in mice treated with 40 mg/kg dose of mangosteen peel extract was less than that in mice treated with saline,
although the difference was not significant.
Conclusion: Application of a 40 mg/kg dose of mangosteen peel extract promotes bone fracture healing.
become a candidate for a drug. Majalah Obat Tradisional 2011;16:64-9.
2. Shibata MA, Linuma M, Morimoto J, Kurose H, Akamatsu K,
Okuno Y, et al. ?-Mangostin extracted from the pericarp of the
mangosteen (Garcinia mangostana Linn) reduces tumor growth and
lymph node metastasis in an immunocompetent xenograft model
of metastatic mammary cancer carrying a p53 mutation. BMC Med
3. Ropyanto CB. Analysis of Factors Related to Patient Functional Status
After Open Reduction Internal Fixation (ORIF) Fracture of Lower
Extremities in the Hospital Orthopedics Prof Soeharso Surakarta.
Depok: Universitas Indonesia; 2011.
4. Aryani R. Phenomenology Study: Experience of Patients Who has a
Fracture of the Lower Limb with the Installation of an External Fixator
at Fatmawati General Hospital. Depok: Universitas Indonesia; 2011.
5. Geneser F. Histology Textbook. 1st ed. Jakarta: Bina Rupa Aksara;
1994. p. 228-9.
6. Borhanuddin B, Fozi NF, Mohamed IN. Vitamin E and the healing of
bone fracture: The current state of evidence. Evid Based Complement
Altern Med 2012;2012:684510.
7. Gokturk E, Turgut A, Baycu C, Gunal I, Seber S, Gulbas Z. Oxygenfree
radicals impair fracture healing in rats. Acta Orthop Scand
8. Sheweita SA, Khoshhal KI. Calcium metabolism and oxidative stress in
bone fractures: Role of antioxidants. Curr Drug Metab 2007;8:519-25.
9. Kondo M, Zhang L, Ji H, Kou Y, Ou B. Bioavalability and antioxidant
effects of a xanthone rich mangosteen (Garcinia mangostana) product
in humans. J Agric Food Chem 2009;57:8788-92.
10. Diwan AD, Wang MX, Jang D, Zhu W, Murrel GA. Nitric oxide
modulates fracture healing. J Bone Miner Res 2000;15:342-51.
11. Akao Y, Nakagawa Y, Iinuma M, Nozawa Y. Anti cancer effect of
xanthones from pericarps of mangosteen. Int J Mol Sci 2008;9:355-70.
12. Kosem N, Ichikawa K, Utsumi H, Moongkarndi P. In vivo toxicity and
antitumor activity of mangosteen extract. J Nat Med 2013;67:255-63.
13. Muchtaridi M, Wijaya CA. Anticancer potential of -mangostin. Asian
Journal of Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research 2017;10:440-5.
14. Abuzaid AS, Sukandar EY, Kurniati NF, Adnyana IK. Preventive effect
on obesity of mangosteen (garcinia mangostana l.) Pericarp ethanolic
extract by reduction of fatty acid synthase level in monosodium
glutamate and high-calorie diet-induced male Wistar rats. Asian Journal
of Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research 2016;9:257-60.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.