TOXICITY ANALYSIS OF RGD-CHITOSAN FROM SHRIMP SHELL SCAFFOLD MEMBRANES TOWARD HUMAN DENTAL PULP CELLS
Objective: This study aimed to analyze RGD-Chitosan from Shrimp Shellsâ€™ Scaffoldsâ€™ (RCSSS) and CSSS membrane toxicity toward human dental pulp
Methods: Human dental pulp cells were cultured for 5 days and then exposed to RCSSS or CSSS membranes for 24 hrs. Cell viability was determined
using an MTT assay method.
Results: Cell viability of the RCSSS group and CSSS group was higher than the cell viability of the control group. The cell viability of the RCSSS
group 2 mg (537.39%) was significantly higher than the CSSS group 2 mg (301.74%).
Conclusions: RCSSS membranes were not toxic toward human dental pulp cells and showed better effect toward human dental pulp cells compared
to CSSS membranes.
periodontal ligament stem cell-seeded nanohydroxyapatite-chitosan
scaffold. Int J Nanomed 2012;7:5405-14.
2. Arca HÃ‡, Åženel S. Chitosan based systems for tissue engineering part 1:
Hard tissues. Fabad J Pharm Sci 2008;33(1):35-49.
3. Amini AR, Laurencin CT, Nukavarapu SP. Bone tissue engineering:
Recent advances and challenges. Crit Rev Biomed Eng
4. RodrÃguez-VÃ¡zquez M, Vega-Ruiz B, Ramos-ZÃºÃ±iga R,
SaldaÃ±a-Koppel DA, QuiÃ±ones-Olvera LF. Chitosan and its potential
use as a scaffold for tissue engineering in regenerative medicine.
Biomed Res Int 2015;2015:821279.
5. Huang GT, Gronthos S, Shi S. Mesenchymal stem cells derived from
dental tissues vs. Those from other sources: Their biology and role in
regenerative medicine. J Dent Res 2009;88(9):792-806.
6. Amir LR, Suniarti DF, Utami S, Abbas B. Chitosan as a potential
osteogenic factor compared with dexamethasone in cultured macaque
dental pulp stromal cells. Cell Tissue Res 2014;358(2):407-15.
7. Soeroso Y, Bachtiar EW, Bachtiar BM, Sulijaya B, Prayitno SW. The
prospect of chitosan on the osteogenesis of periodontal ligament stem
cells. J Int Dent Med Res 2016;9(2):93-7.
8. Saravanan S, Leena RS, Selvamurugan N. Chitosan based biocomposite
scaffolds for bone tissue engineering. Int J Biol Macromol
9. Dash M, Chiellini F, Ottenbrite RM, Chiellini E. Chitosan - A versatile
semi-synthetic polymer in biomedical applications. Prog Polym Sci
10. Graziano A, dâ€™Aquino R, Laino G, Papaccio G. Dental pulp stem cells:
A promising tool for bone regeneration. Stem Cell Rev 2008;4(1):21-6.
11. Tsai WB, Chen YR, Liu HL, Lai JY. Fabrication of UV-crosslinked
chitosan scaffolds with conjugation of RGD peptides for bone tissue
engineering. Carbohydr Polym 2011;85(1):129-37.
12. Riahi N, Liberelle B, Henry O, De Crescenzo G. Impact of RGD
amount in dextran-based hydrogels for cell delivery. Carbohydr Polym
13. Bellis SL. Advantages of RGD peptides for directing cell association
with biomaterials. Biomaterials 2011;32(18):4205-10.
14. Tsai WB, Chen YR, Li WT, Lai JY, Liu HL. RGD-conjugated UVcrosslinked
chitosan scaffolds inoculated with mesenchymal stem cells
for bone tissue engineering. Carbohydr Polym 2012;89(2):379-87.
15. Wang MO, Etheridge JM, Thompson JA, Vorwald CE, Dean D,
Fisher JP. Evaluation of the in vitro cytotoxicity of cross-linked
biomaterials. Biomacromolecules 2013;14(5):1321-9.
16. Oâ€™Brien FJ. Biomaterials and scaffolds for tissue engineering. Mater
17. Zahra J. Chitosan: A brief review on structure and tissue engineering
application. J Appl Tissue Eng 2014;1(1):3-7.
18. Zhu W, Liang M. Periodontal ligament stem cells: Current status,
concerns, and future prospects. Stem Cells Int 2015;2015:972313.
19. Pisciotta A, Carnevale G, Meloni S, Riccio M, De Biasi S, Gibellini L,
et al. Human dental pulp stem cells (hDPSCs): Isolation, enrichment
and comparative differentiation of two sub-populations. BMC Dev Biol
20. Wang Y, Lu LX, Feng ZQ, Xiao ZD, Huang NP. Cellular compatibility
of RGD-modified chitosan nanofibers with aligned or random
orientation. Biomed Mater 2010;5(5):50201.
21. Enrique D, Jos P, Sobral A, Norte C. The effect of processing parameters
and solid concentration on the microstructure and pore architecture
of gelatin-chitosan scaffolds produced by freeze-drying. Mater Res