ANALYSIS OF LYSATE PLATELET-RICH FIBRIN EFFECTS ON HUMAN DENTAL PULP STEM CELL DIFFERENTIATION THROUGH DENTIN SIALOPHOSPHOPROTEIN EXPRESSION
Objective: In vitro, the culture media in which human dental pulp stem cells (hDPSCs) are grown are supplemented with specific growth factors that
induce cell cycle entry and differentiation. Lysate platelet-rich fibrin (L-PRF) is a unique and stable growth factor supplement produced from platelets
lysed by freezing-thawing. In this study, we aimed to analyze the potential effects of L-PRF on hDPSC differentiation.
Methods: We divided hDPSCs isolated from human third molars at the second passage into five culture media groups treated with 1%, 5%, 10%,
and 25% L-PRF or 10% fetal bovine serum (control). After 7 days, we evaluated hDPSC differentiation using an enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay
specific for dentin sialophosphoprotein and Alizarin-Red staining.
Results: None of our analyses revealed any significant differences between the L-PRF- and control-treated cells.
Conclusion: L-PRF could potentially induce the differentiation of hDPSCs in vitro.
endodontic procedures: A perspective from stem cell niche biology. J
2. Conde MC, Chisini LA, Demarco FF, Nör JE, Casagrande L,
Tarquinio SB. Stem cell-based pulp tissue engineering: Variables
enrolled in translation from the bench to the bedside, a systematic
review of literature. Int Endod J 2016;49:543-50.
3. da Rosa WL, da Silva TM, Galarça AD, Piva E, da Silva AF. Disclosing
the physiology of dental pulp for vital pulp therapy. Int Endod J
4. Saeed MA, El-Rahman MA, Helal ME, Zaher AR, Grawish ME. Efficacy
of human platelet rich fibrin exudate vs fetal bovine serum on proliferation
and differentiation of dental pulp stem cells. Int J Stem Cell 2017;10:38-47.
5. El Bagdadi K, Kubesch A, Yu X, Al-Maawi S, Orlowska A, Dias A,
et al. Reduction of relative centrifugal forces increases growth factor
release within solid platelet-rich-fibrin (PRF)-based matrices: A proof
of concept of LSCC (low speed centrifugation concept). Eur J Trauma
Emerg Surg 2019;45:467-79.
6. Choukroun J, Aalam AA, Miron RJ. Platelet rich fibrin PRF and
regenerative medicine: The low-speed concept. In: Tatullo M, editor.
MSCs and Innovative Biomaterials in Dentistry. Cham: Humana Press;
2017. p. 21-42.
7. Abuarqoub D, Awidi A, Abuharfeil N. Comparison of osteo/
odontogenic differentiation of human adult dental pulp stem cells and
stem cells from apical papilla in the presence of platelet lysate. Arch
Oral Biol 2015;60:1545-53.
8. Niwa T, Yamakoshi Y, Yamazaki H, Karakida T, Chiba R, Hu JC, et al.
The dynamics of TGF-? in dental pulp, odontoblasts and dentin. Sci
9. Marsa RD, Asrianti D, Margono A. The efficacy of platelet-rich fibrin
lysate (PRF-L) for fibroblast cell proliferation. J Int Dent Med Res
10. Chaparro O, Linero I. Regenerative Medicine : A New Paradigm in
Bone Regeneration. Tamil Nadu: Intech; 2016. p. 253-74.
11. Aghababazadeh M, Kerachian MA. Cell fasting cellular response and
application of serum starvation. J Fasting Health 2014;2:147-50.
12. Hong S, Chen W, Jiang B. A comparative evaluation of concentrated
growth factor and platelet-rich fibrin on the proliferation, migration,
and differentiation of human stem cells of the apical papilla. J Endod
13. Masuki H, Okudera T, Watanebe T, Suzuki M, Nishiyama K. Growth
factor and pro-inflammatory cytokine contents in platelet-rich plasma
(PRP), plasma rich in growth factors (PRGF), advanced platelet-rich
fibrin (A-PRF), and concentrated growth factors (CGF). Int J Implant
14. Narayanan K, Srinivas R, Ramachandran A, Hao J, Quinn B, George A.
Differentiation of embryonic mesenchymal cells to odontoblast-like cells
by overexpression of dentin matrix protein 1. PNAS 2001;98:4516-21.
15. Emilia E, Neelakantan P. Biomarkers in the dentin-pulp complex: Role
in health and disease. J Clin Pediatr Dent 2015;39:94-9.
16. Suzuki S, Haruyama N, Nishimura F, Kulkarni AB. Dentin
sialophosphoprotein and dentin matrix protein-1: Two highly
phosphorylated proteins in mineralized tissues. Arch Oral Biol
17. Asri SR, Setiati HD, Asrianti D, Margono A, Usman M, Yulianto I.
Optimum concentration of platelet-rich fibrin lysate for human dental
pulp stem cells culture medium. J Int Dent Med Res 2019;12:105-10.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.