ANTICANCER ACTIVITY OF Î’-SITOSTEROL FROM PLECTRANTHUS AMBOINICUS (LOUR. SPRENG.) LEAVES: IN VITRO AND IN SILICO STUDIES
Objective: Î²-sitosterol is the steroid compound which is an important nutrient in the diet meal, hydrophobic and soluble in organic solvents and considered as a good biomarker due to its biological activity.
Methods: In vitro study was using 2,5-diphenyl tetrazolium bromide method towards T47D, MCF-7, HeLa, and WiDr cell lines. In silico docking using PLANTS program and visualized by Yasara program. The model of three dimension enzyme structures used in this research were epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR), phosphatidylinositol-3-kinase (PI3K), estrogen receptor-alpha (ER-Î±), ER-beta (ER-Î²), and human EGFR 2 (HER-2). Two and three dimensions of Î²-sitosetrol, ZSTK474, and tamoxifen as the standard were generated using Marvin Sketch program.
Results: Î²-sitosterol was found to have inhibitory concentration 50% of 0.55; 0.87; 0.76, and 0.99 mM. Î²-sitosterol and ZSTK474 were inhibited EGFR and PI3K with docking score âˆ’92.8195; âˆ’91.7920 and âˆ’91.7470; âˆ’94.7491 Î²-sitosterol and tamoxifen were inhibited ER-Î±, ER-Î² and HER-2 with docking score âˆ’78.5570; âˆ’89.535, âˆ’68.7717; âˆ’52.008 and âˆ’90.4908; âˆ’50.5576, respectively.
Conclusion: Based on the results above that shows Î²-sitosterol provide effective as anticancer.
2. Jemal A, Siegel R, Xu J, Ward E. Cancer statistics, 2010. CA Cancer J Clin 2010;60(5):277-300.
3. Siegel RL, Miller KD, Jemal A. Cancer statistics, 2015. CA Cancer J Clin 2015;65:5-29.
4. Hasibuan PA, Rosidah. Combination effect of ethylacetate extract of Plectranthus amboinicus (Lour.) Spreng. with doxorubicin against HeLa cell lines. Int J Pharm Clin Res 2016;8(5):357-60.
5. Hasibuan PA, Chrestella J, Satria, D. Combination effect of ethylacetate extracts of Plectranthus amboinicus (Lour). Spreng. with doxorubicin against T47D breast cancer cells. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;7(10):156-9.
6. Jirge S, Tatke P, Gabhe SY. Marker based standardization of commerical formulations and extracts containing beta-sitosterol D-glucoside using HPTLC. Int J Res Ayurveda Pharm 2010;1(2):616-23.
7. Karan SK, Mishra SK, Pal DK, Mondal A. Isolation of Î²- sitosterol and evaluation of antidiabetic activity of Aristolochia indica in alloxan induced diabetic mice with reference to in-vitro antioxidant activity.J Med Plant Res 2012;6(7):1219-23.
8. Dufoour B. The effectiveness of beta-sitosterol from an extract of African pygeum, on the functional symptoms of prostatic adenoma. J Ann Urol 1984;18:193-5.
9. Bouic PJ, Etsebeth S, Liebenberg RW, Albrecht CF, Pegel K, Van Jaarsveld PP. Beta-sitosterol and beta-sitosterol glucoside stimulate human peripheral blood lymphocyte proliferation: Implications for their use as an immunomodulatory vitamin combination. Int J Immunopharmacol 1996;18(12):693-700.
10. Shefer S, Salen G, Nguyen L, Batta AK, Packin V, Tint GS, et al. Competetive inhibition of bile acid synthesis by endogenous cholestanol and sitosterol in sitosterolemia with xanthomatosis. J Clin Invest 1988;82:1833-9.
11. Malini T, Vanithakumari G. Antifertility effects of beta-sitosterol in male albino rats. J Ethnopharmacol 1991;35:149-53.
12. Nema RK, Yuvraj G, Ramanathan L, Sripriya S, Deecaraman M, Kishore L, et al. Effect of Î²- sitosterol fraction of Ocimum gratissimum on reproductive parameters of male rats. Asian J Biochem Pharm Res 2011;3(1):591-7.
13. Gupta MB, Nath R, Srivastava N, Shanker K, Kishor K, Bhargava KP. Anti-inflammatory and antipyretic activities of betasitosterol. Planta Med 1980;39(2):157-63.
14. Anggraeni R, Hadisahputra S, Silalahi J, Satria D. Combinational effects of ethylacetate extract of Zanthoxylum acanthopodium DC. with doxorubicin on T47D breast cancer cells. Int J Pharmtech Res 2014;6(7):20-33.
15. Sitorus P, Satria D. Antibacterial activity of ethanol extractand volatile oil of laja gowah rhizome (Alpinia malaccensis Burm. F Roscoe.) against Staphylococcus aureus and Escherichia coli. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2016;9(2):342-4.
16. Dalimunthe A, Achmad S, Satria D. Phenolic, flavonoid content and antioxidant activities of ethylacetate extract of Litsea cubeba (Lour.) Pers. Barks. Pharm Chem 2016;8(19):466-8.
17. Sihotang Y, Silalahi J, Hadisahputra S, Anjelisa P, Satria D. Cardioprotective effect of ethylacetate extract of poguntano (Picria fel-terrae Lour.) against doxorubicin-induced cardiotoxicity in rats. Int J Pharm Clin Res 2016;8(5):466-70.
18. Satria D, Nasution NP, Ilyas S. Cytotoxcicity effect of sea horse (Hippocampus trimaculatus Leach.) extract and fractions on MCF-7 cell line. Int J Pharmtech Res 2014;6(1):212.
19. Sitorus P, Harahap U, Pandapotan M, Barus T. Isolation of Î²-sitosterol from n-hexane Extract of Picria fel-terrae Lour. leave and study of its antidiabetic effect in alloxan induced diabetic mice. Int J pharmtech Res 2014;6(1):137-41.
20. Hasibuan PA, Harahap U, Sitorus P, Satria D. Ethylacetate extract of Zanthoxylum acanthopodium DC. Fruit against doxorubicin-resistanced T47D cells. Pharm Chem 2016;8(20):172-4.
21. Purnomo H, Jenie UA, Nugroho AE, Pranowo HD. In silico and in vivo qualitative relationships of para-aminophenol analogues. Int J Pharm Clin Res 2016;8(5):367-71.
22. Hasibuan PA, Satria D, Harahap U, Silalahi J. In silico analysis of picfeltarraenin IA and IB as potential PI3K and EGFR inhibitor. Pharm Chem 2016;8(19):666-70.
23. Terstappen GC, Reggiani A. In silico research in drug discovery. Trends Pharmacol Sci 2001;22:23-6.
24. Bharath EN, Manjula SN, Vijaychand A. In silico drug design tool for overcoming the innovation deficit in the drug discovery process. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2011;3(2):8-12.
25. Verbanac D, Jelic D, Stephanic V, Tatic I. Combined in silico and in vitro approach to drug screening. Croat Chem Acta 2005;78(2):133-9.
26. Lu Y, Muller M, Smith D, Dutta B, Komurov K, Iadevaia S, et al. Kinome siRNA-phosphoproteomic screen identifies networks regulating AKT signaling. Oncogene 2011;30(45):4567-77.
27. Hennessy BT, Smith DL, Ram PT. Exploiting the PI3K/AKT pathway for cancer drug discovery. Nat Rev Drug Discov 2005;4:988-1004.
28. Joshi A, Manoj G, Urmila JJ. Identification of potential novel EGFR inhibitors using a combination of pharmacophore and docking methods. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;7(6):77-91.
29. Holla SN, Venna N, Bairy KL, Amruta T, Shreedhar HN. HER-2 gene, receptors and drug target: A systematic review. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2016;8(4):4-9.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.