THE EFFECT OF SECANG EXTRACT (CAESALPINIA SAPPAN LINN) ON THE WEIGHT AND HISTOLOGY APPEARANCE OF WHITE MALE RATSâ€™ HEARTS INDUCED BY ISOPROTERENOL
Objective: This study was conducted to determine the cardioprotective effect of secang extract on the heart cells of rats who suffered from myocardial
infarction induced by isoproterenol.
Materials and Methods: Sprague Dawley rats were divided into six groups: Normal control, negative control, control extract (200 mg/kg), and three
different dose extract groups (50, 100, and 200 mg/kg body weight) that were given treatment for 30 days, and then, induced with isoproterenol.
Observations were made for changes in the macroscopic appearance, cardiac weight, and histology of the cardiac organ.
Results: The results showed a decrease in the incidence of myocardial infarction in rats given secang extract. The infarction area decreased with
increasing doses of extract. The weight of the heart in the control extract group was smaller than in the negative control group.
Conclusions: Damage to heart cells, seen in the microscope, decreased with increasing doses.
effect of melatonin against isoproterenol induced myocardial infraction
in rat: A biochemical, electrocardiographic and histoarthitectural
evaluation. Eur J Pharm 2010;644(1-3):160-8.
2. Corwin E. Handbook of Pathophysiology. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, PA:
Lippincott William and Wilkins; 2008.
3. Loscalzo J. Molecular Mechanisms of Atherosclerosis. United Kingdom:
Taylor and Francis; 2005.
4. Pantos C, Mourouzis I, Cokkinos D. Myocardial Ischemia: From
Mechanisms to Therapeutic Potentials. United States of America:
5. Washiyama M, Sasaki Y, Hosokawa T, Naguno S. Anti-inflammatory
constituens of sappan lignum. Biol Pharm Bull 2009;32(5):941-4.
6. Shen J, Zhang H, Lin H, Su H, Xing D, Du L. Brazilein protects
the brain against focal cerebral ischemia reperfusion injuri
correlating to inflammatory response suppression. Eur J Pharmacol
7. Ansari MN, Bhandari U, Pillai KK. Ethanolic Zingiber officinale R.
Extract pretreatment alleviates isoproterenol-induced oxidative
myocardial necrosis in rat. Indian J Exp Biol 2006;44(11):892-7.
8. Prince P, Rajakumar S, Dhanasekar K. Protective effects of vanillic acid
on electrocardiogram, lipid peroxidation, antioxidants, proinflammatory
markers and histopathology in isoproterenol induced cardiotoxic rats.
Eur J Pharm 2011;668(1-2):233-40.
9. Kumaran KS, Prince PS. Protective effect of caffeic acid on cardiac
markers and lipid peroxide metabolism in cardiotoxic rats: An in vivo
and in vitro study. Metabolism 2010;59(8):1172-80.
10. Benjamin IJ, Jalil JE, Tan LB, Cho K, Weber KT, Clark WA.
Isoproterenol-induced myocardial fibrosis in relation to myocyte
necrosis. Circ Res 1989;65(3):657-70.