HEPATOPROTECTIVE EFFECT OF 50% ETHANOL EXTRACT OF SEAGRASS RHIZOME (CYMODOCEA ROTUNDATA) AGAINST LIVER TISSUES IN PARACETAMOL-INDUCED RATS
Objective: This study aimed to determine the hepatoprotective effect of 50% ethanol extract of seagrass rhizome in terms of serum glutamic
oxaloacetic transaminase (SGOT) and serum glutamic pyruvic transaminase (SGPT) activities in paracetamol-induced rat plasma.
Methods: This study included 28 male, white rats randomly divided into seven groups. Groups I and II represented the normal control and control
groups, respectively, administered with 280 mg/kg BW of rhizome extract. Group III represented the negative control group induced by a suspension
of paracetamol (2g/kg BW). Group IV represented a positive control group administered with Hepa-QÂ® at a dosage of 150 mg/kg BW. Groups V, VI,
and VII were administered with seagrass rhizome extract at doses of 140, 280, and 560 mg/kg BW, respectively, before paracetamol induction. The
test material was orally administered for 17 days. On days 12â€“17, the rats were induced with paracetamol through the same route. On day 18, blood
sampling was performed followed by SGOT and SGPT plasma measurements.
Results: Our results revealed that seagrass rhizome extracts could significantly decrease SGPT and SGOT levels in paracetamol-induced rats (p<0.05)
compared with those in the negative control group.
Conclusion: Thus, seagrass rhizome extracts possess the potential for development as a hepatoprotective agent.
Processes. Jakarta: EGC Medical Book Publishers; 2005.
2. Kenward R, Chik KT. Clinical pharmacy. In: Aslam M, Tan CK,
Prayitno A, editors. Toward Rational Treatment and Acknowledgement
of Patient Choice. Jakarta: PT Gramedia; 2003.
3. Linawati Y, Apriyanto A, Susanti E, Wijayanti I, Donatus A.
Hepatoprotective effect of herbal decoction of putri malu (Mimmosa
pigra L.) in rats induced paracetamol. J Farmasi Indones 2007;2007:217.
4. Umer S, Asres K, Veeresham C. Hepatoprotective activities of two
Ethiopian. Pharm Biol 2010;48:461-8.
5. Montano MN, Bonifacio RS, Rumbaoa RG. Proximate analysis of
the flour and starch from Enhalus acoroides (L.f) royle seeds. J Aqu
6. Sari W. Care Your Self: Hepatitis. Jakarta: Penebar Plus; 2008.
7. Elya I, Yasman T. Test Activity Inhibition of Thyrosinase Five Seagrass
Extract Collected from Kepulauan Seribu Jakarta. Depok: Faculty of
Pharmacy Universitas Indonesia; 2012.
8. Republic of Indonesia Ministry of Health. Indonesian Materia Medika.
Vol. 4. Jakarta: Ministry of Health of the Republic of Indonesia; 1995.
9. Goodman LS, Gilman A. Goodman, Gilmanâ€™s The Pharmalogical Basic
of Therapeutics. 6th ed. New York: Mac Milan Publishing Co Inc.; 1980.
10. Lawrence AK, Amadeon JP. Clinical Chemistry: Theory, Analysis,
Correlation. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, PA: Mosby Year Book Inc.; 1996.
11. Jeyapragash D, Subhashini P, Raja S, Abirami K, Thangaradjou T.
Evaluation of In-Vitro Antioxidant Activity of Seagrasses: Signals for
Potential Alternate Source. India: Faculty of Marine Sciences, Tamil
Nadu: Annamalai University; 2016.