ANTITHROMBOTIC ACTIVITY OF TAMARINDUS INDICA L. IN MICE
Objective: This study aimed to investigate the antithrombotic activity of Tamarindus indica L. extract (TIE) in mouse models (in vivo).
Methods: TIE was orally administered to mice at three different doses for 7 days. TIE-treated mice were used in two experiments of antithrombotic
activity: An examination of bleeding time following tail cutting and an examination of survival rate after collagen-epinephrine-induced
thromboembolism. The TIE groups were observed after 7 days of treatment and compared to an aspirin-treated group and a control group.
Results: Treatment with TIE led to a significant increase in bleeding time compared with that in the control group. TIE treatment also protected mice
from thromboembolic death, significantly increasing survival rates in a dose-dependent manner.
Conclusion: TIE has the potential as an antithrombotic agent against platelet thromboembolism.
activities of fucosylated chondroitin sulfates and their depolymerized
fragments from two sea cucumbers. Carbohydr Polym 2016;152:343-50.
2. Daykin HJ, Sturgeon SA, Jones C, Wright CE. Arterial antithrombotic
effects of aspirin, heparin, enoxaparin and clopidogrel alone, or in
combination, in the rat. Thromb Res 2006;118:755-62.
3. Bassi B, Nickels LC, Flach FE, Deportu G, Ganti L. Case report acute
on chronic venous thromboembolism on therapeutic anticoagulation.
Case Rep Emerg Med 2013;2013:295261.
4. Ayanbule F, Li G, Peng L, Nowicki J, Anderson G. Anti-jugular vein
thrombotic effect of Morinda citrifolia L. [Noni] in male SD rats. Funct
Foods Heal Dis 2011;1:297-309.
5. Viswanatha GL, Rafiq M, Rajesh S, Sandeep Rao KS, Azeemuddin M,
Anturlikar SD. et al. Anti-platelet and anti-thrombotic effects of a polyingredient
formulation: In vitro and in vivo experimental evidences.
Oman Med J 2012;27:e010.
6. Chelucci RC, Dutra LA, Lopes Pires ME, de Melo TR, Bosquesi PL,
Chung MC, et al. Antiplatelet and antithrombotic activities of nonsteroidal
anti-inflammatory drugs containing an N-acyl hydrazone
subunit. Molecules 2014;19:2089-99.
7. Shaikh, W. Chemical constituents of Tamarindus indica L. Pharmacogn
8. Molina V, Arruzazabala ML, Carbajal D, MÃ¡s R. D-003, a potential
antithrombotic compound isolated from sugar cane wax with effects on
arachidonic acid metabolites. Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids
9. Ara N, Islam M. Phytochemical screening and in vitro antibacterial
activity of Tamarindus indica seeds ethanolic extract. Curr Trends
Biotechnol Pharm 2009;26:19-23.
10. Atanassova M, Georgieva S, Ivancheva K. Total phenolic and total
flavonoid contents, antioxidant capacity and biological contaminants in
medicinal herbs. Ivancheva J Univ Chem Technol Metall 2011;46:81-8.
11. Ikram EH, Eng KH, Jalil AM, Ismail A, Idris S, Azlan A, et al.
Antioxidant capacity and total phenolic content of Malaysian
underutilized fruits. J Food Compos Anal 2009;22:388-93.
12. Saputri FC, Nabila N, Munâ€™im A. Combination of ginger and sappan
wood extract effect on in vivo antithrombotic activity test. J Young
13. Liu Y, Jennings NL, Dart AM, Du XJ. Standardizing a simpler, more
sensitive and accurate tail bleeding assay in mice. World J Exp Med
14. Warner TD, Nylander S, Whatling C. Anti-platelet therapy: Cyclooxygenase
inhibition and the use of aspirin with particular regard to
dual anti-platelet therapy. Br J Clin Pharmacol 2011;72:619-33.
15. Lee J, Park DH, Jung SH, Lee S, Oak M. The antithrombotic activity
of ethanol extract of Lysimachia clethroides. J Korean Soc Appl Biol
16. Faggio C, Sureda A, Morabito S, Sanches-Silva A, Mocan A,
Nabavi SF, et al. Flavonoids and platelet aggregation: A brief review.
Eur J Pharmacol 2017;807:91-101.
17. Huang J, Wang S, Luo X, Xie Y, Shi X. Cinnamaldehyde reduction
of platelet aggregation and thrombosis in rodents. Thromb Res
18. Gurbel PA, Bliden KP, DiChiara J, Newcomer J, Weng W, Neerchal NK,
et al. Evaluation of dose-related effects of aspirin on platelet function:
Results from the aspirin-induced platelet effect (ASPECT) study.
19. Raghavendra RH, Naidu KA. Spice active principles as the inhibitors
of human platelet aggregation and thromboxane biosynthesis.
Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids 2009;81:73-8.
20. Barisione G, Baroffio M, Crimi E, Brusasco V. Beta-adrenergic
agonists. Pharmaceuticals (Basel) 2010;3:1016-44.
21. Cheng CJ, Kuo E, Huang CL. Extracellular potassium homeostasis:
Insights from hypokalemic periodic paralysis. Semin Nephrol
22. Abbas H, Kothari N, Bogra J. Hypokalemic periodic paralysis. Natl J
Maxillofac Surg 2012;3:220-1.
23. Molina V, Arruzazabala ML, Carbajal D, MÃ¡s R, ValdÃ©s S. Antiplatelet
and antithrombotic effect of D-003. Pharmacol Res 2000;42:137-43.
24. Molina V, Arruzazabala ML, Carbajal D, MÃ¡s R. Synergistic effect of
D-003 and aspirin on experimental thrombosis models. Prostaglandins
Leukot Essent Fatty Acids 2003;68:305-10.