THE OPTIMIZATION OF ELUTING CONDITION OF SOLID PHASE EXTRACTION METHOD FOR ï¡-MANGOSTIN PURIFICATION IN MANGOSTEEN PERICARP EXTRACT
Objective: To obtain the optimum condition of eluent selection for purification of Î±-mangostin in mangosteen pericarp extract with solid phase extraction (SPE) method.
Methods: The analysis was conducted by SPE cartridge octadecylsilane (ODS)-5, solvents used were methanol for conditioning, aqua bidestilated for washing and three different eluents for eluting: methanol, ethanol and ethyl acetate.
Results: Recovery value for each eluent were 32.4741% for methanol, 46.6130% for ethanol and 33.6383% for ethyl acetate. Comparison of alpha-mangostin level in the mangosteen pericarp extract for each eluent i.e. 14.4578% for methanol, 10.0598% for ethanol, and 14.2898 % for ethyl acetate while compared to the extract without SPE was 21.7934%.
Conclusion: Ethanol had the highest recovery value, compared to methanol and ethyl acetate.
2. Zarena AS, Sankar KU. A study of antioxidant properties from Garcinia mangostana L. pericarp extract. Acta Sci Pol Technol Aliment 2009;8:23-34.
3. Chen LG, Yang LL, Wang CC. Antiinflammatory activity of mangostins from Garcinia mangostana. Food Chem Toxicol 2008;46:688â€“93.
4. Taher M, Susanti D, Rezali MF, Zohri FSA, Ichwan SJA, Alkhamaiseh SI, et al. Apoptosis, antimicrobial and antioxidant activities of phytochemicals from Garcinia Malaccensis Hk. f. Asian Pac J Trop Med 2012;5:136-41.
5. Andayani R, Wahyuni FS, Wirasti Y, Dachriyanus. Development and validation of an RP-HPLC method for quantitative estimation of ï¡-mangostin in the rind extract and fractions of Garcinia mangostana L. and their cytotoxic activity on T47D breast cancer cell line. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;7:174-8.
6. Jung HA, Su BN, Keller WJ, Mehta RG, Kinghorn D. Antioxidant xanthones from the pericarp of Garcinia mangostana (mangosteen). J Agric Food Chem 2006;54:2077-82.
7. Maisuthisakul P, Suttajit M, Pongsawatmanit R. Assessment of phenolic content and free radical scavenging capacity of some Thai indigenous plants. Food Chem 2007;100:1409-18.
8. Rao TP, Daniel S, Gladis JM. Tailored materials for preconcentration or separation of metals by ion-imprinted polymers for solid-phase extraction (IIP-SPE). Trac-Trend Anal Chem 2004;23:28-35.
9. McMaster, Marvin C. HPLC: a practical userâ€™s guide Second Edition. New York: John Wiley and Sons, Inc; 2007. p. 78.
10. Muchtaridi M, Yuliani E, Sopyan I. Application of off-line SPE-HPLC/UV methods in the analysis of ofloxacin in human urine (in vitro). Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;8:255-61.
11. Sopyan I, Irawati W, Indriyati W. A novel of bezafibrate analysis methods in urine (in vitro) using solid phase extraction-high performance liquid chromatography-uv detector. Int J Appl Pharm 2018;10:94-7.
12. Muchtaridi, Hasanah AN, Musfiroh I. Solid-phase extraction: application on analysis preparation. Yogyakarta: Graha Ilmu; 2015. p. 41-6.
13. Xiao HB, Krucker M, Albert K, Liang XM. Determination and identification of isoflavonoids in Radix Astragali by matrix solid-phase dispersion extraction and high-performance liquid chromatography with photodiode array and mass spectrometric detection. J Chromatogr A 2004;1032:117-24.
14. Departemen Kesehatan RI. General standard parameters of medicinal plant extracts. Jakarta: Dirjen POM; 2000.
15. Muchtaridi M, Suryani D, Qosim WA, Saptarini NM. Quantitative analysis of Î±-mangostin in mangosteen (Garcinia mangostana L.) pericarp extract from four districts of west java by HPLC method. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2016;8:232-6.
16. Muchtaridi M, Puteri NA, Milanda T, Musfiroh I. Validation analysis methods of Î±-Mangostin, ï§-mangostin, and gartanin mixture in mangosteen (Garcinia mangostana L.) fruit rind extract from west java with HPLC. J Appl Pharm Sci 2017;7:125-30.
17. Snyder LR, JJ Kirkland, JL Glajch. Practical HPLC method development. 2nd Edition. New York: John Willey and Sons, Inc; 1997. p. 119-44, 643-728, 736.
18. Å»wir-Ferenc A, Biziuk M. Solid phase extraction techniqueâ€“trends, opportunities and applications. Pol J Environ Stud 2006;15:677-90.
19. Chitchumroonchokchai C, Riedl KM, Suksumrarn S, Clinton SK, Kinghorn AD, Failla ML. Xanthones in mangosteen juice are absorbed and partially conjugated by healthy adults. J Nutr 2012;142:675-80.
20. Walsh KR, Haak SJ, Bohn T, Tian Q, Schwartz SJ, Failla ML. Isoflavonoid glucosides are deconjugated and absorbed in the small intestine of human subjects with ileostomies. Am J Clin Nutr 2007;85:1050-6.
21. Seo J, Kim HY, Chung BC, Hong J. Simultaneous determination of anabolic steroids and synthetic hormones in meat by freezing-lipid filtration, solid-phase extraction and gas chromatography-mass spectrometry. J Chromatogr A 2005;1067:303-9.
22. Nurabadi ML, Indriyati W, Musfiroh I. Analysis of ferric acid in arabica bean coffee extract (Coffea arabica L.) by solid phase extraction-high performance liquid chromatography method. Jatinangor: Fakultas Farmasi UNPAD; 2015.