DETERMINATION OF QUALITY PARAMETERS AND TEST ANTIOXIDANT ACTIVITIES OF 70% ETHANOL EXTRACT OF SEROJA LEAVES (NELUMBO NUCIFERA GAERTN.)
Keywords:Seroja (Nelumbo nucifera Gaertn), Antioxidants, ABTS, CUPRAC, DPPH, FRAP, TBA
Objective: The purpose of this study was to evaluated the quality parameters and analyzed the antioxidant activity of seroja leaves Nelumbo nucifera Gaertn.
Methods: The quantification of the chemical compound was determined by its total phenol and flavonoid levels. The evaluate the antioxidant activity was determined by the comparability of the four common radical scavenging assays using 2,2′-azino-bis-3-ethylbenzthiazoline-6-sulphonic acid (ABTS); 1, 1-diphenyl-2-picrylhydrazyl (DPPH) radical; cupric ion reducing antioxidant capacity (CUPRAC); ferric reducing antioxidant power (FRAP); and 2-thiobarbituric acid (TBA) methods.
Results: The results of phytochemical screening for simplicia powder and 70% ethanol extract of seroja leaves contain secondary metabolites of alkaloids, flavonoids, saponins, tannins, coumarin, quinones, and triterpenoid steroids. The results of the determination of the quality parameters meet the requirements of quality and safety standard of the medicinal herb. The result of the determination of total phenol content from 70% ethanol extract of Seroja leaves was 181.62±0.82 mg GAE/g extract. The results of the determination of total flavonoid levels from 70% ethanol extract of seroja leaves amounted to 289.83±1.04 mg QE/g extract. The results of antioxidant activity tests using the ABTS, DPPH, and TBA methods showed IC50 respectively 287.7 mg/l, 22.3 mg/l, and 352.6 mg/l and CUPRAC and FRAP methods had an antioxidant capacity of 160.76±0.35 and 253.36±0.48 mg AAE/g extract.
Conclusion: Seroja leaves (Nelumbo nucifera Gaertn.) have the potential to be used as an antioxidant medicinal herb and its extract meet the standard of quality control and safety.
2. Jarmkom K, Techaoei S, Wisidsri N, Khobjai W. Evaluation of acetylcholinesterase activity and cytotoxicity of different parts of Nelumbo nucifera Gaertn on human neuroblastoma cell line (SH-SY5Y). Int J Appl Pharm 2019;11:103-5.
3. Salmiyah S, Ainunnisa A, Nurmilasari N, Handayani E, Firdaus F. Identification of organic compounds from extract lotus seeds (Nelumbo nucifera). Indonesia Chim Act 2019;10:19-24.
4. Zheng LJ, Wu YB, Wu JG, Tan CJ, Yi J, Chen TQ, et al. Antioxidant activity of lotus (Nelumbo nucifera Gaertn.) receptacles of eleven cultivars grown in China. J Med Plants Res 2012;6:1902–11.
5. Djamil R, Rahmat D, Zaidan S, Latifah MN. Anticholesterol activity of okra fruit extract (Abelmoschus esculentus (L) Moench) and its nanoemulsion in vivo. Pharmacogn J 2020;12:316–20.
6. Farnsworth NR. Biological and phytochemical screening of plants. J Pharm Sci 1966;55:225–76.
7. Apak R, Gorinstein S, Böhm V, Schaich KM, Ozyurek M, Guclu K. Methods of measurement and evaluation of natural antioxidant capacity/activity (IUPAC Technical Report). Pure Appl Chem 2013;85:957-98.
8. Moharram HA, MM Youssef. Methods for determining the antioxidant activity. Alex J Fd Sci Technol 2014;11:31-9.
9. Choirunnisa AR, Fidrianny I, Ruslan K. Comparison of five antioxidant assays for estimating antioxidant capacity from three Solanum sp. extracts. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2016;9:123-8.
10. Apak R, Guclu K, Demirata B, Ozyurek M, Celik SE, Bekta?oglu B, et al. Comparative evaluation of various total antioxidant capacity assays applied to phenolic compounds with the CUPRAC assay. Molecules 2007;12:1496–547.
11. Molyneux P. The use of the stable free radical diphenylpicrylhydrazyl (DPPH) for estimating antioxidant activity. Songklanakarin J Sci Technol 2004;26:211–9.
12. Benzie IFF, Strain JJ. The ferric reducing ability of plasma (FRAP) as a measure of “antioxidant power”: the FRAP assay. Anal Biochem 1996;239:70–6.
13. Limwachiranon J, Huang H, Shi Z, Li L, Luo Z. Lotus flavonoids and phenolic acids: health promotion and safe consumption dosages. Compr Rev Food Sci Food Saf 2018;17:458–71.
14. Djamil R, Anelia T. Penapisan fitokimia, uji BSLT, dan uji antioksidan ekstrak metanol beberapa spesies papilionaceae. J Ilmu Kefarmasian Indones 2009;7:65-71.
15. Djamil R, Wahyudi PS, Wahono S, Hanafi M. Antioxidant activity of flavonoid from Anredera cordifolia (Ten) steen is leaves. Int Res J Pharm 2012;3:241-3.