CHARACTERIZATION AND BIOLOGICAL EVALUATION OF SILVER NANOPARTICLES SYNTHESIZED BY AQUEOUS ROOT EXTRACT OF DESMODIUM GANGETICUM FOR ITS ANTIOXIDANT, ANTIMICROBIAL AND CYTOTOXICITY
Obective: To evaluate the biological significance of silver nanoparticles synthesized by aqueous root of Desmodium gangeticum and to understand its antioxidant, antimicrobial and cytotoxic activity.
Methods: In the present study silver nanoparticles (AgNPs) were synthesized with precursor silver nitrate using aqueous root extract of Desmodium gangeticum (DG). Chemical synthesis of AgNPs was done by following the procedure by Guzman et. al (2009) with little modification. The AgNPs were further characterized by different techniques like UV-visible Spectrometer, X-ray Diffraction (XRD), Fourier Transform Infra-Red spectroscopy (FTIR), Scanning electron microscopy (SEM) and Thermo Gravimetric Analysis (TGA).
Results: The presence of silver nanoparticles with an average size between 30-40 nm and exhibiting face centred cubic structure was confirmed. SEM reveals the morphology of the nanoparticles as spherical and the IR spectra confirms the presence of phyto-constituents in AgNPs that not only acts as reducing agent, but also stabilize the particles. Biological evaluation of the nanoparticles showed significant antimicrobial and antioxidant activity. AgNPs possess relatively low cytotoxicity to LLC-PK1 cells compared to DG extract and the precursor silver nitrate.
Conclusion: Biological evaluation of the nanoparticles showed significant antimicrobial and antioxidant activity. AgNPs possess relatively low cytotoxicity to LLC-PK1 cells compared to DG extract and the precursor silver nitrate. Compared to physical and chemical method of nanoparticle synthesis, biological procedure is ecofriendly and cost effective.
2. Shipway AN, Katz E, Willner I. Nanoparticle arrays on surfaces for electronic, optical, and sensor applications. Chem Phys Chem 2000;1(1):18-52.
3. Pankhurst QA, Connolly J, Jones S, Dobson JJ. Applications of magnetic nanoparticles in biomedicine. J Phys D: Appl Phys 2003;36:R167.
4. Jin H, Kang KA. Application of novel metal nanoparticles as Optical/Thermal agents in optical mammography and hyperthermic treatment for breast cancer. Adv Exp Med Biol 2005;599:45-52.
5. Moshfegh AJ. Nanoparticle catalysts. J Phys D: Appl Phys 2009;42:233001.
6. NTP Phong, NVK Thanh, PH Phuong. Fabrication of antibacterial water filter by coating silver nanoparticles on flexible polyurethane foams. J Phys: Conf Ser 2005;187:012079.
7. Zhang Z, Zhang X, Xin Z, Deng M, Wen Y, Song Y. Synthesis of monodisperse silver nanoparticles for ink-jet printed flexible electronics. Nanotechnol 2011;22(42):425601.
8. Thirumalai Arasu V, Prabhu D, Soniya MJ. Stable silver nanoparticle synthesizing methods and its applications. J Biosci Res 2010;1:259-70.
9. Prabhu S, Poulose EK. Silver nanoparticles: mechanism of antimicrobial action, synthesis, medical applications, and toxicity effects. Nano Lett 2012;8:1â€“10.
10. Wilkinson L, White R, Chipman J. Silver and Nanoparticles of silver in wound dressings: A review of efficacy and safety. J Wound Care 2011;20:543-9.
11. GuzmÃ¡n MG, Dille J, Godet S. Synthesis of silver nanoparticles by chemical reduction method and their antibacterial activity. Int J Chem Biomol Eng 2009;2:104-11.
12. Rodriguez-Sanchez L, Blanco MC, Lopez-Quintela MA. Electrochemical synthesis of silver nanoparticles. J Phys Chem B 2000;104:9683â€“8.
13. Mubayi A, Chatterji S, Rai PM, Watal G. Evidence based green synthesis of nanoparticles. Adv Mater Lett 2012;3(6):519-25.
14. Salam HA, Rajiv P, Kamaraj M, Jagadeeswaran P, Gunalan S, Sivaraj R. Plants: green route for nanoparticle synthesis. Int Res J Biol Sci 2012;1:85â€“90.
15. C Marambio-Jones, EMV Hoek. A review of the antibacterial effects of silver nanomaterials and potential implications for human health and the environment. J Nanopart Res 2010;12:1531-51.
16. Nagajyothi PC, Lee SE, An M, Lee KD. Green synthesis of silver and gold nanoparticles using Lonicera japonica flower extract. Bull Korean Chem Soc. 2012;33(8):2609â€“12.
17. Nagajyothi P, Lee KJ. Synthesis of plant-mediated silver nanoparticles using dioscorea batatas rhizome extract and evaluation of their antimicrobial activities. J Nanomater 2011;49:573429.
18. Lee HJ, Song JY, Kim BS. Biological synthesis of copper nanoparticles using Magnolia kobus leaf extract and their antibacterial activity. J Chem Tech Biotechnol 2013;88:1971-7.
19. J Huang, Q Li, D Sun, Y Lu, Y Su, et al. Biosynthesis of silver and gold nanoparticles by novel sundried cinnamomum camphora Leaf. Nanotechnol 2007;18:105104-15.
20. Shankar SS, Rai A, Ankamwar B, Singh A, Ahmad A, Sastry M. Biological synthesis of triangular gold nanoprisms. Nat Mater 2004;3:482â€“8.
21. Kurian GA, Suryanarayanan S, Raman A, Padikkala J. Antioxidant effects of ethyl acetate extract of Desmodium gangeticum root on myocardial ischemia reperfusion injury in rat hearts. Chin Med 2010;5:3.
22. Rathi A, Rao CV, Ravishankar B, De S, Mehrotra S. Anti-inflammatory and anti-nociceptive activity of the water decoction Desmodium gangeticum. J Ethnopharmacol 2004;9:259-63.
23. Kurian GA, Rajamani T, Ramanarayanan P, Padikkala J. A comparative study on in-vitro and in-vivo antioxidant activities of aqueous extract of Desmodium gangeticum DC (Leguminosae) root. Int J Green Pharm 2009;3(4):324-31.
24. Kurian GA, Philip S, Varghese T. Effect of aqueous extract of the Desmodium gangeticum DC root in the severity of myocardial infarction. J Ethnopharmacol 2005;97(3):457-61.
25. Lai SC, Peng WH, Huang SC, Ho YL, Huang TH, Lai ZR, et al. Analgesic and anti-inflammatory activities of methanol extract from Desmodium triflorum DC in mice. Am J Chin Med 2009;37:573-88.
26. Mishra PK, Singh N, Ahmad G, Dube A, Maurya R. Glycolipids and other constituents from Desmodium gangeticum with antileishmanial and immunomodulatory activities. Bioorg Med Chem Lett 2005;15:4543-6.
27. Jayachitra A, Krithiga N. Study on antioxidant property in selected medicinal plant extracts. Int J Med Arom Plants 2012;2:495-500.
28. Patel A, Patel NM. Determination of polyphenols and freeradical scavenging activity of Tephrosia purpurea linn leaves (Leguminosae). J Phcog Res 2010;2:152â€“8.
29. ICFR Ferreira, P Baptista, M Vilas-Boas, L Barros. Free-radical scavenging capacity and reducing power of wild edible mushrooms from northeast Portugal: individual cap and stipe activity. Food Chem 2007;100(4):1511â€“6.
30. Valgas C, Souza SM, SmÃ¢nia EFA, SmÃ¢nia A Jr. Screening methods to determine antibacterial activity of natural products. Braz J Microbiol 2007;38:369â€“80.
31. Decker T, Lohmann-Matthes ML. A quick and simple method for the quantitation of lactate dehydrogenase release in measurements of cellular cytotoxicity and tumor necrosis factor (TNF) activity. J Immunol Methods 1988;115:61â€“9.
32. Chudasama B, Vala AK, Andhariya N, Upadhyay RV, Mehta RV. "Enhanced antibacterial activity of bifunctional Fe3O4â€“Ag coreâ€“shell nanostructures". Nano Res. 2009;2:955-65.
33. T Premkumar, Y Lee, KE Geckeler. Macrocycles as a tool: a facile and one-pot synthesis of silver nanoparticles using cucurbituril designed for cancer therapeutics. Chem A Eur J 2010;16:11563-6.
34. Novak JP, Brousseau LC, Vance FW, Johnson RC, Lemon BI, Hupp JT, et al. Nonlinear optical properties of molecularly bridged gold nanoparticle arrays. J Am Chem Soc 2000;122:12029-30.
35. Singhal G, Bhavesh R, Kasariya K, Sharma AR, Singh RP. Biosynthesis of silver nanoparticles using Ocimumsanctum (Tulsi) leaf extract and screening its antimicrobialactivity. J Nanopar Res 2011;13:2981â€“8.
36. Awwad AM, Salem NM, Abdeen AO. Green synthesis of silver nanoparticles using carob leaf extract and its antibacterial activity. Int J Ind Chem 2013;4:1-6.
37. Shabi MM, Paddikkala J. Cardiotonic and anti ischemic reperfusion injury effect of Desmodium gangeticum root methanol extract. Turk J Biochem 2010;35(2):83â€“90.
38. Liau SY, DC Read, WJ Pugh, JR Furr, AD Russell. Interaction of silver nitrate with readily identifiable groups: relationship to the antibacterial action of silver ions. Lett Appl Microbiol 1997;25:279-83.