COMPARATIVE ANALYSIS OF SILVER NANOPARTICLES PREPARED BY CHEMICAL AND GREEN SYNTHETIC ROUTE
Objective: The rapid progress in nanotechnology was always accompanied by their toxic impaction the environment and human health, which creates an urge for researchers to find an alternative approach. In the present work, silver nanoparticles (AgNPs) synthesized through chemical (hydrazine hydrate) and green (aqueous Desmodium gangeticum root extract) route were compared for their biological activity and toxic behavior.
Methods: AgNPs were characterized by different techniques like UV-Visible Spectrophotometry, X-ray Diffractometry (XRD), Fourier transform infra-red spectroscopy (FTIR), Zeta Analyzer, Thermo Gravimetric Analysis (TGA) and Scanning electron microscopy (SEM). The free radical scavenging potential was measured through DPPH, Superoxide scavenging assay and Total phenol content and antimicrobial activity by disc diffusion method. The cytotoxicity was examined by LDH assay.
Results: Characterization showed no significance change in the nature of nanoparticles prepared. AgNPs prepared by biological method showed high free radical scavenging potential, better antimicrobial activity and less-toxic to epithelial cells.
Conclusion: Bioreducing and biostabilizing properties of the plant makes the synthesized nanoparticles to possess the necessary features to be applied in biological applications.
2. Shipway AN, Katz E, Willner I. Nanoparticle arrays on surfaces for electronic, Optical, and sensor applications. Chem Phys Chem 2000;1:18-52.
3. Pankhurst QA, Connolly J, Jones S, Dobson J. Applications of magnetic nanoparticles in biomedicine. J Phys D: Appl Phys 2003;13:R167-R181.
4. Moshfegh A. Nanoparticle catalysts. J Phys D: Appl Phys 2009;49 Issue 23:233001.
5. Zhang Y, Huang R, Zhu X, Wang L, Wu C. Synthesis, properties, and optical applications of noble metal nanoparticle-biomolecule conjugates. Chin Sci Bull 2012;2-3:238-46.
6. Lu Y, Yin Y, Mayers BT, Xia Y. Modifying the surface properties of superparamagnetic iron oxide nanoparticles through a sol-gel approach. Nano Lett 2002;3:183-6.
7. Edwardsâ€Jones V. The benefits of silver in hygiene, personal care and healthcare. Lett Appl Microbiol 2009;2:147-52.
8. Kokura S, Handa O, Takagi T, Ishikawa T, Naito Y, Yoshikawa T. Silver nanoparticles as a safe preservative for use in cosmetics. Nanomed Nanotech Biol Med 2010;4:570-4.
9. Hussain SK, Hess K, Gearhart J, Geiss KA, Schlager J. In vitro toxicity of nanoparticles in BRL 3A rat liver cells. Toxicol In vitro 2005;7:975-83.
10. Braydich-Stolle L, Hussain S, Schlager JJ, Hofmann MC. In vitro cytotoxicity of nanoparticles in mammalian germline stem cells. Toxicol Sci 2005;2:412-9.
11. Kawata K, Osawa M, Okabe S. In vitro toxicity of silver nanoparticles at noncytotoxic doses to HepG2 human hepatoma cells. Environ Sci Tech 2009;15:6046-51.
12. Trickler WJ, Lantz SM, Murdock RC, Schrand AM, Robinson BL, Newport GD. Silver nanoparticle induced blood-brain barrier inflammation and increased permeability in primary rat brain microvessel endothelial cells. Toxicol Sci 2010;1:160-70.
13. Thakkar KN, Mhatre SS, Parikh RY. Biological synthesis of metallic nanoparticles. Nanomed Nanotech Biol Med 2010;2:257-62.
14. Rathi A, Rao C V, Ravishankar B, De S, Mehrotra S. Anti-inflammatory and anti-nociceptive activity of the water decoction Desmodium gangeticum. J Ethnopharmacol 2004;2-3:259-63.
15. Kurian GA, Paddikkala J. Administration of aqueous extract of Desmodium gangeticum (L) root protects rat heart against ischemic reperfusion injury induced oxidative stress. Indian J Exp Biol 2009;2:129-35.
16. Kurian GA, Suryanarayanan S, Raman A, Padikkala J. Antioxidant effects of ethyl acetate extract of Desmodium gangeticum root on myocardial ischemia reperfusion injury in rat hearts. Chin Med J 2010;5:3.
17. Joshi H, Parle M. Antiamnesic Effects of Desmodium gangeticum in Mice. Yakugaku Zasshi 2006;9:795-804.
18. Bhattacharjee A, Shashidhara SC, Saha S. Phytochemical and ethno-pharmacological profile of Desmodium gangeticum (L.) DC: A review. Inter J Biomed Res 2013;10:507-15.
19. Jamuna KS, Kurian GA. Nano-scale preparation of Titanium dioxide by Desmodium gangeticum root aqueous extract. Ceram Int 2014;8:11933â€“40.
20. Jayachitra, Krithiga N. Study on antioxidant property in selected medicinal plant extracts. Int J Med Arom Plants 2012;3:495-500.
21. Ferreira LC, Baptista P, Vilas-Boas M, Barros L. Free-radical scavenging capacity and reducing power of wild edible mushrooms from northeast Portugal: Individual cap and stipe activity. Food Chem 2007;4:1511-6.
22. Shajiselvin CA, Muthu K. In-vitro free radical scavenging activity of various extracts of whole plant of Borreria hispida (Linn). Arch Appl Sci Res 2010;2.
23. Parekh J, Chanda SV. In vitro antimicrobial activity and phytochemical analysis of some Indian medicinal plants. Turk J Biol 2010;2:53-8.
24. Decker T, Lohmann-Matthes ML. A quick and simple method for the quantitation of lactate dehydrogenase release in measurements of cellular cytotoxicity and tumor necrosis factor (TNF) activity. J Immunol Methods 1988;1:61-9.
25. Prasad KS, Pathak D, Patel A, Dalwadi P, Prasad R, Patel P. Biogenic synthesis of silver nanoparticles using Nicotiana tobaccum leaf extract and study of their antibacterial effect. Afr J Biotechnol 2011;41:8122-30.
26. Awwad AM, Salem NM, Abdeen AO. Green synthesis of silver nanoparticles using carob leaf extract and its antibacterial activity. Inter J Ind Chem 2013;1:1-6.
27. Dirtu D, Odochian L, Pui A, Humelnicu I. Thermal decomposition of ammonia. N2H4-an intermediate reaction product. Cent Eur J Chem 2006;4:666-73.
28. Nakamoto K. Infrared and Raman spectra of inorganic and coordination compounds. Wiley Online Library; 1978.
29. Ahmad A, Mukherjee P, Senapati S, Mandal D, Khan MI, Kumar R. Extracellular biosynthesis of silver nanoparticles using the fungus Fusarium oxysporum. Colloids Surf B 2003;4:313-8.
30. Vigneshwaran N, Ashtaputre N, Varadarajan P, Nachane R, Paralikar K, Balasubramanya R. Biological synthesis of silver nanoparticles using the fungus Aspergillus flavus. Mater lett 2007;9:1413-8.
31. Kurian GA, Shabi M, Paddikkala J. Cardiotonic and anti ischemic reperfusion injury effect of Desmodium gangeticum root methanol extract. Turk J Biochem 2010;35:83-90.
32. Sharma CS, Sarkar S, Periyakaruppan A, Barr J, Wise K, Thomas R. Single-walled carbon nanotubes induces oxidative stress in rat lung epithelial cells. J Nanosci Nanotechnol 2007;7:2466â€“72.
33. Liau S, Read D, Pugh W, Furr J, Russell A. Interaction of silver nitrate with readily identifiable groups: relationship to the antibacterialaction of silver ions. Lett Appl Microbiol 1997;4:279-383.
34. Xiu ZM, Zhang QB, Puppala HL, Colvin VL, Alvarez PJ. Negligible particle-specific antibacterial activity of silver nanoparticles. Nano Lett 2012;8:4271-5.